Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these plants?

Renan
Getting Established

What are these plants?

Hi,

We’re looking to redo our front yard, and have been looking for options. Driving past Bunnings Mentone this morning I noticed these in the car park. 

Can anybody help me name these plants? And if so, how tall would these typically grow?

44CF1D5A-CA9D-440B-98CD-6EC28BB0841B.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Help with front yard

They look like Snow Maiden's but I'm not confident with that. You could always ask a Bunnings team member at that store to identify it, they usually plant and care for these. 

Remarka6le

Re: Help with front yard

Hi @Renan,

Commonly we'll use Buxus in these plantings. If you can take a closer image of an individual plant, you can run it through an online plant identifying app. They are pretty spot on. Even with this image, the two different apps I've used are giving Buxus as a result. 

I do like @Remarka6le's guess, though, as the leaves look a little larger than I'd expect on a Buxus. That could just be the perspective of the image.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What are these plants?

Hi @Renan , I suspect that @Remarka6le is right. It's a bit hard to tell from the photo but it does look like Rhaphiolepis indica "Snow maiden". Did any of them have little white flowers on them? 

Rhaphiolepis are great, tough little low-maintenance plants for low hedges and borders, or just to keep as little shrubs in small areas. They often have lovely little white flowers on them (or pink flowers, depending on the variety). 

"Snow maiden" is the smallest of the three most common varieties. Rhaphiolepis indica "Oriental pearl" grows a bit taller and bushier and has a rounder leaf shape. Rhaphiolepis intermedia is the tallest. You can hedge it to 1.5 metres or more.

Where are you thinking of putting them? The good thing about anything you find in a car park or other public-area landscaping is that you know it's going to be tough!

Brad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects