Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it OK to put mulch over road base?

Ganny000
Just Starting Out

Is it OK to put mulch over road base?

Hi, 

I’m thinking of getting road base and compacting it to my front yard of 7x3m

After that I’m planning to put mulch over it. Reason I put road base is so that I could park my car on it 

I’ve checked on a lot of website for ideas but never seen people laying mulch over road base

Thanks

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: is it OK to put Mulch over Road Base?

Hey @Ganny000

I've seen people use a Crusher dust (which is  crushed from the same kind of rock as road base but much smoother) / Mulch combo, but that was to prevent plant growth, not park a car on it. I imagine road base would create a pretty uneaven surface? 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it OK to put mulch over road base?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ganny000. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a car park.

I think your idea will work as long as you level and compact the area. I recommend hiring a plate compactor to ensure the roadbase is solid. As @Remarka6le has mentioned, typically, you'd use crusher dust in combination with roadbase. The crusher dust works its way in between the larger rocks and helps to form a solid base. After you've compacted the area, I can't see any reason why you couldn't cover it with mulch.

You could also compact the soil and lay down Strol 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers. You'd then be able to cover the plastic pavers with mulch.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects