Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Travertine pavers and gravel garden path

TaylerMayd
Having an Impact

Travertine pavers and gravel garden path

The grass leading up to the back of the house was always a wet sludgy mess, due to getting limited sun, and I hated looking at that part of the garden. There was no way to get from the house to the shed without stepping through muddy grass. I wanted to remove the grass and create a pathway to compliment the deck. After receiving numerous quotes to complete the job, of between 3 and 5 thousand dollars, I decided to do it myself, and all it cost me was around $600!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Materials

Tools

Steps

Step 1

First, I measured out where I wanted the path and marked it out with string line. I then sprayed along the line with spray and mark paint.

4.jpg

Step 2

I used my edger along the marked line to create a crisp edge and started digging up the grass with a shovel. When removing the grass, I made sure to dig it out on a slight angle slanting away from the house, for drainage.

5.jpg

Step 3

Once the grass was removed, I raked the area making sure the ground was even, before compacting it with a tamper.

8.jpg

Step 4

Once compacted, I put down the weed mat and garden edging, and fastened with metal pegs.

9.jpg

Step 5

I evenly spread the road base and tampered it down as I went, creating a firm level base.

10.jpg

Step 6

I measured where the pavers would go and used string line to mark a straight edge. I then put sand down to lay the pavers on.

11.jpg

Step 7

I started laying the pavers, using the string line as a guide, and a spirit level. I used a rubber mallet to adjust and tap the pavers into place.

12.jpg

Step 8

Once all the pavers were down, I evenly distributed the gravel around them with a rake.

13.jpg

18.jpg

Step 9

To complete the project, I also gave the deck a much-needed sand and oil, and I was done! So happy with how it all turned out!

20.jpg

21.jpg

Re: Travertine pavers and gravel garden path

Thanks very much @terrywang I used the Bungendore Brown gravel from CSG :smile:

Re: Travertine pavers and gravel garden path

Thanks so much @Dave-1 glad I can be your inspo!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects