Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tomatoes that grow up latticework

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Tomatoes that grow up latticework

I had some old bricks laying around, and I was getting a bit sick of whippersnipping around some spearpoint pipework -  so I decided to make a "quick n dirty" vegetable patch that I can mow around now (excuse the dodgy rendering, just used my hands but it should do the job to hold some dirt and its hidden behind the pump box)

Im going to whack up some latticework tomorrow,  and want to plant some climbing tomatoes we can eat and also to help hide the spearpoint box a little bit. Any suggestions on tomatoes that would suit? Its full sun for 3/4 of the day there, if it needs watering alot thats fine (its all automatic)

IMG_20190213_174622.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tomatoes that grow up latticework

@Prawns

Great project! Thanks for sharing.

Let me tag a few of our gardening experts for you, like @Adam_W, @Noelle@mandy111s111@bergs and @Grub80. However, it might help community members to recommend a variety if they knew where you are located.

You might also be interested in some of the discussion around different varieties on these posts:

Good luck!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Im in Port Stephens NSW :smile: 

The soil here is not good though - its all sand so I have to  buy dirt  when planting things - I got plans to do composting in the future to help there I hope.

I have bore water irrigation currently running on a timer daily for about 30minutes at the moment (its easy to adjust, Ive put some grass seed down recently so Ive been smashing the water around till that starts sprouting)

Just slowly kicking along here with repairs and improvements - Ive saved most of the lawn since we moved in and now I am starting to move onto the gardens a bit more seriously now - and trying to figure out a way to camoflage my spearpoint pump a bit as well hopefully (or make it so its not the first thing you notice on the lawn at least hahahha) Thats where Im hoping the tomato vine might work - or some kind of vine for climbing latticework which is maybe 1.5Mx1.5M.

Looking at it closer today and nutting it out better - it might only get sun around midday when its small. Once it grows up the lattice should be seeing morning and midday sun and some of the arvo (photos looking West

20181025before5.JPG

Hi ya therethere @Prawns, Like all the experts say, the soil is the key to great tomaroes. It looks like you have a challenge on your hands with sandy soil, but it can be overcome. Adding compost and some dynamic lifter will definitely help. Adding well rotted cow manure will also assist, but not too much, else you will burn your new plants. When planting, always soak your seedlings in a seaweed solution to aid transplant shock, then use the water to water in. Your choices of tomatoes nowadays are endless. You could plant the heirloom variety, or even cherry toms, the kids love picking them 👍

Good luck with your planting, and enjoy home grown goodness

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the tips and well wishes :smile:

Looks like i got a small shopping list to get (I can grab a bag of moo poo from the side of the road on the way to get a bunnings snag and the rest hahahha)

Yeah the soil here is a real bummer as Ive been finding out. Some of the rest of my gardens can probably do with a bit of moo poo too probably. It sounds like keeping nutrients in the soil might be a ongoing thing for me, I really gotta get some composting happening properly here I reckon to help longer term

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Update - My wife grabbed a couple of tomato plants when she was out shopping ("father tom" ones not that I know anything about tomatoes lol) I had fun installing the trellis as it was a smidge too wide for my rendering (doh didnt account at all for render thickness) 

I was thinking about just angle grinding another column of "squares" from the trellis to make it fit - but thought Id just use a bigger hammer instead. Yep I had to do small repairs to cracked renderwork already hahahahha (all good now though - but it really didnt like moving that 2 or 3 mm lols)

Hopefully they do ok :smile:

IMG_20190216_134233.jpg

claw
Finding My Feet

are they spring onions you have growing in a bucket there beside the garden bed? Do they just grow in something as small as that? Might give them a try?
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Yep they are spring onions :smile:

We had some older spring onions just from Coles up the back of the fridge - instead of throwing them out I tried planting them and they really took off, enough there that we dont have to buy any :smile:

IMG_20190301_192120.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @claw. Great to see you jump in and get a prompt reply.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're rapt you could join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of members happy to share their knowledge and experience. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we could improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

As a update - One plant has really taken off, and the other one is struggling (I think the dog climbed in at one stage lol)

Got around half a dozen new tomatoes growing on the large plant :smile: 

20190411 tomato.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects