Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would YOU design this front courtyard?

Deeks66
Getting Established

How would YOU design this front courtyard?

IMG_7512.jpeg

IMG_7513.jpeg

IMG_7511.jpeg

This is our front courtyard. It is very.. bleh. I would love to hear everyone’s ideas on how we could spruce the place up without going super crazy. The colour schemes of the house are white, grey, black and blue. The external is the brick, cream and black/grey. The wall is a shared wall with the neighbours unit so we can’t alter that in any way. We own the house so can do whatever we want (to a degree). We also predominantly would sit/entertain out the back as we have a large back yard so I’m not the most keen on putting seating out there. 

I would love to rip up the blue rocks and that’s my starting point, would love to hear all your suggestions to help me create the perfect front courtyard 😊🤍

we are also In front of a gorgeous bush reserve so we would like to not interfere with the view by putting anything tall or anything in front of the gate.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would YOU design this front courtyard?

That's a pretty open question, @Deeks66, as everyone will likely have their own opinion on how this courtyard could be styled. I think the area would lend itself well to Japanese styling as its compact size would complement it well. I've created a rendering for you and added it below. I'm certainly not suggesting that you'd need to go to the extent of installing a pond, but it's an interesting idea, and you could keep it as minimalistic as you like. I'd also consider adding screening to the brick walls to break them up, as they're rather overwhelming. Some Jack 1800 x 900mm Oxy-Shield Bamboo Screen Panel would really keep it on theme. Perhaps painting some of the walls would help, too.

Starting by removing the current blue metal would be a good place to begin. Even replacing them with pebbles would give the area an instant facelift. Another easy option would be to run some raised garden beds down the wall and plant them out with your favourite flowers.

I'm keen to hear if there are any must-haves that you'd like included in the area.

Mitchell

Courtthis.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How would YOU design this front courtyard?

Hi @Deeks66,

I'd recommend you start by having a look at How to plan a garden makeover by experienced member @Adam_W. Coming up with a list of things you'd like from the space will really help you come up with a plan, and assist others in providing more helpful advice on next steps. 

You might also get inspiration from the winner of the best outdoor project in our recent D.I.Y. July competition - Courtyard garden makeover by @homeforeverhome

Let me also tag some other experienced members for their thoughts: @homeinmelbourne@diy_hausdesigns@prettyliving and @tom_builds.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects