Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rescue young Lilly Pilly that is dropping leaves?

craisher
Getting Established

How to rescue young Lilly Pilly that is dropping leaves?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I planted these a few weeks back and in a short space of a few days leaves have dropped. I am currently treating weekly with white oil.

I am hoping to a do rescue at this critical time. 

They are planted in large boxes with drainage. Daily watering although I’ve noticed there is good water retention as I have used new quality potting mix. I am cutting watering back to every second day. 

Have had nice weather in Perth with one distinctly hot day. 

Any recommended corrective and life saving actions? 6 plants are impacted. 

One thing I have noticed is there are lots of ground bugs or ants on two of the planters. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Another Lilly Pilly scenario

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @craisher. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly Pilly care.

You say you planted these a few weeks back; were they also purchased then? I can't help but think that they could have already carried these issues due to the extensive infestation and damage to the plants. Do they all look similar to the one pictured as it's in a fairly dire state, and saving it might be difficult. If these were purchased from us within the last year, I'd be happy to organise an exchange on them via our Perfect plant promise.

Let me mention a couple of our plant experts @Noelle and @mich1972 to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi

They were purchased at the same time from a Bunnings store. There was some disease already at time of purchase but stock was very limited and I grabbed all that was available for my project. I accept I took the risk hoping that they would

flourish with TLC. 

Is the white oil the correct treatment? What last dash intervention can I try?

Many thanks for your promptness. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like a serious psyllid problem to me, @craisher , and not a recent infestation either.  It takes some time for symptoms as severe as this to develop and for leaves to die and drop off.

If the tree has been affected by this pest for a lengthy period prior to potting up, and no treatment was given, then the chances of eradication are low. You could try to rejuvenate the plant by cutting it back hard, into healthier wood that still has leaves, but you will end up with a bushier shrub with multiple branches, not a tall slender tree.

craisher
Getting Established

is there a systemic treatment I should pursue in addition to the white oil? 

Good morning @craisher @Lilly Pilly is certainly very popular !! 😃 Absolutely agree with @Noelle about Psyllids infestation. They settle on the underside of the new leaves and rasp and suck the life out of them, causing them to pimple. 
Stop using the white oil as you don’t want to over do it. Lilly Pilly responds well to regular pruning, when ever you see it occurring, cut it off. Give your plants a good liquid feeding. I personally find Eco Neem Oil is really good and safe to spray. 
I hope this helps and as @MitchellMc advised , keep the Perfect Plant Promise in mind. So just cut off as you see it appear and check the rest of your Lilly Pilly plants 😃🪴

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@craisher

Some great advice offered by @Noelle and @mich1972

There is no systemic treatment that I am aware of for psyllid. 

Mitchell

Hi Mitchel. 

given I was given a discount as the plants were diseased at purchase does the guarantee still work? I have treated as instructed. Problem is this variety is currently not available so I was left with no option. 

What is the process of the guarantee given they are planted?

many thanks,

Craig 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Craig (@craisher),

If you can let me know the store at which you purchased the plants, I can contact them to discuss the issue and the availability of our Perfect plant promise.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

plants were purchased on 29/9/2023 at midland store in WA. 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects