Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile over outdoor plumbing points?

IMLJ2009
Finding My Feet

How to tile over outdoor plumbing points?

Hi experts,

I have a question regarding my outdoor floor level, hopefully anyone with plumbing knowledge can help. Thanks in advance.

I have two drainage inspect point(don’t know what exactly they are) outside my laundry. Pls check my attached photos. 
I’m going to tile this area, but I don’t know if the floor level can higher than that two point or must be same or below that two point. One looks like discharge point, I don’t know.

IMG_9860.jpeg

IMG_9861.jpeg

It’s much appreciated for your help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor ground level question

Hello @jessexia2009 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the plumbing fittings in your garden.

The one with the cover cap is probably an inspection junction and the one with the grill is possibly an overflow inlet. It looks like your house is newly constructed, I suggest speaking to the Engineer who designed your house. They will be able to provide you with the information that you need.

The engineer will be able to tell you if you can tile up to the edge of the pipework or leave space around it so that you can service them without having to break the floor tiles in the future. 

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: outdoor ground level question

Hi Eric,

Good morning.

I had read a lot of your recommendations before I joint the community.

Thanks for your advise, unfortunately, the builder is helpless.

I have to found out myself.

Hopefully someone can point me out. I don't  need to too high then the point level, maybe just around 35mm higher. I don't know if it is okay. thanks anyway.

Kind regards

Jesse

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to tile over outdoor plumbing points?

Good afternoon @IMLJ2009 

Firstly id like to welcome you to the Bunnings community page :smile: Sounds like you have been wandering through the pages already :smile:

The capped pipe does look like to be an inspection pipe and can be raised by extending the pipe itself. 

The bad news the other does look like an overflow that @EricL suggests. Being an overflow I would suggest that it is already at the right height to provide this service 😕 It looks to be at the same level as the bottom of your floor, that way if the pipes overflow it will come out here instead of in your house.

You could contact a plumber and they may know a way around the issue? If you raise the area higher then the bottom of you house slab I would have to make sure of what happens to the water that falls on it (running on that new tiled area but between the new tiled area and house)

Dave

Re: How to tile over outdoor plumbing points?

Thanks David-1, I will take your recommendation, properly just lower the floor level flush with the overflow inlet. thanks again for everyone..very helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects