Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start over with a new lawn?

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

How to start over with a new lawn?

Hi All,

Recently moved back in and the previous tenant's dog has ripped up our beautiful SWB.

I was in the middle of fixing it but realized that there are rocks and clay soil on the turf underlay (looks like the landscaper did a shortcut and did not clear it properly before installing new turf)

Should I just order Sandy Loam to level the lawn and install new turf on the areas required? This is what it looked like when it was freshly installed before:

Original Freshly Laid LawnOriginal Freshly Laid LawnOriginal Freshly Laid LawnOriginal Freshly Laid LawnBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backBefore landscape at the backCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent SituationCurrent Situation

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

Re: Starting over with a new lawn?

Also, I'd like to add that I'm stuck on the following:

1. Rocks and Clay on soil

2. Looks like the lawn slopes down towards the house. Lawn was flush with the concrete slab where the aircon unit is (happens to be lower point than the garden bed, maybe I can build a wall around the concrete slab?)

I thought about shaving some land where the garden bed is but that will compromise the wall stumps so may not be an option.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @toffeeapple

Thanks for sharing your question about starting over with a new lawn. 

• In order to promote good root development for your lawn the rocks and stones must be removed. I suggest using a rake to gather the stones together.

• Rolled turf is approximately 40mm thick this would account for the lawn being at level with the aircon concrete slab.    

Although you still have patches of green, I'm unsure if it will be enough to recover the entire lawn. But if you are starting from scratch, your idea of covering the surface with loam soil is an excellent idea. This would also be the best opportunity to re-level the surface of the soil before you lay down the turf. I suggest using a builder's line so that you'll have a guide when spreading the soil.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

I've just received a quote of around $7k to dig 20cm deep and level the lawn (as I was planning to put 150-170mm of sandy loam and 30mm of turf).

I was thinking, would it be more efficient to have a plumber install a drain near the patio as the yard slopes slightly towards the house? That way we don't have to dig the entire lawn? 

I can just put around 30-50mm of sandy loam and returf the areas needed and top dress the remaining grass.

Overtime I can fix the clay soil via fertilizer/compost etc?PXL_20231024_023716640.jpgPXL_20231024_023708834.jpgPXL_20231024_023653878.jpgPXL_20231024_023649714.jpgPXL_20231024_023644128.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toffeeapple 

That is another possible method to repair your lawn. It would be a more cost-effective method to install a drain rather than dig up the entire lawn just to level the soil. I suggest having a look at using Everhard 1m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Channel, they can be joined together and cut to length. 

I also recommend using Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil to help drain and carry the excess water away. It might take a longer period of time, but if you are willing to put the effort in, you should be able to restore your lawn.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects