Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support a new xanthostemon?

Dawdiddles
Getting Established

How to support a new xanthostemon?

5252FB23-9514-4296-A3FE-EF93D1A84C88.jpeg

Hi team,

I recently planted a Bunnings xanthostemon. We left it in the pot a little long, and sunburnt it and drowned it. Since Going into the ground it has had new growth and is greening up nicely. There are some branches that have lost all leaves and probably hope. 

How do I support the bush from here? Does it need a stake to help shape or support it? How can I prune it so that it grows into a nice thick tree?

Thank you,

Kate

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to support a new xanthostemon?

Hi @Dawdiddles 

I suggest using some bamboo stakes and garden wire to loosely support the branches of the tree. Your goal is to get the tree established and supporting itself. Once that happens, I suggest removing the stake to allow the tree to get stronger.

At the moment your tree still appears to be very young and I propose giving it more time to mature.

Here is a handy guide: How to grow and care for golden penda.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grub80
Making a Splash

Re: How to support a new xanthostemon?

Hi @Dawdiddles I used normal garden stakes from Bunnings and then used garden ties to anchor my plant to the stake. As the plant grew I removed the lower branches to form the tree rather than let the plant grow into a bush. It does take time, but persist with pruning any lower branches that you don’t want and tie up to your stake, then you have created your tree. My plant was a grivellia which has a normal bush habit, but has turned into a tree! Good luck  IMG_4080.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects