Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop lilly pillies dying?

innessa
Growing in Experience

How to stop lilly pillies dying?

30124B34-CA70-4AFE-A7AA-7268C9B19B28.jpeg

319AA480-9B59-4F08-81D3-8814643B033E.jpeg

   

2851ADE9-CB31-4FF2-BBEA-8EC5223E0991.jpeg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to stop lilly pillies dying?

Hi @innessa 

Why is the lillypilly growing in a pot submerged in the garden, and not in the soil itself?  Confining the roots in that way will restrict the plant's ability to source food and moisture, the roots will not be able to spread out to anchor the tree firmly in the soil and it will most likely not thrive.  Plant it into the garden now, before the weather starts to cool so it will establish a decent root system while the soil is warm.

Trees grow straight by giving them sturdy support, like a 1.8m tall garden stake, and tying the tree to it. Not so tight as to cut into the bark but firmly enough to train the tree to grow upright.  The stake needs to be driven well down into the ground - something that isn't possible while the tree is in a pot.

Feed it with a controlled release fertiliser suitable for native plants twice a year - at the start of spring and again at the start of autumn as per the label instructions.  Don't start pruning to form a hedge until all the trees are at least 1.5 - 2m tall.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed with @Noelle I never saw this photo. No good sinking pots into the ground. The plant is probably root bound and the roots will need to be teased out. Make sure you add a soil improver into the hole. As Noelle gas has suggested, take out of the pot and plant it straight into the ground. 

innessa
Growing in Experience

They are not in a pot. I put plant barrier around so nothing comes near it. I put fertiliser on top. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Apologies @innessa It looked like a pot. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry @innessa - definitely looks like a pot.  Fertiliser, moisture and staking are essential.  As lillypillies grow, the lower leaves and small side twigs will die off - that is natural as all the growth and energy occurs at the top of the plant and the tips of larger side branches.  The trunks will not remain leafy right down to the ground.

innessa
Growing in Experience

Thank you for replying. I am so confused with the plants. I got 50 planted by a landscaper and half not looking healthy. They look like they are on a slant and no new leaves. 

Hi @innessa very frustrating when this sort of thing happens especially when plant shave been professionally installed.

I've a little video on fruit tree planting which has some information you may find useful. It's about staking and is from around 2:20

Trees & shrubs should never be left attached to their nursery stakes once planted. Those stakes are intended purely to keep plants safe and tidy during transport & nursery and the little bands on then can restrict sap movement.
Those stakes may well explain the funny angle they are all on.
The patchy growth may be due to lack of water but, equally, could be because they are not establishing a quality root structure due to those stakes.
Personally... I'd be digging one up to look at how the roots have developed and see if they are any problems below ground, such as curl grubs.
Will add too... I'm not a real fan of the type of weed mat that appears to have been used.

LillyPilWrKshop
Finding My Feet

HELP my pooor lilly pilly crop

eaten leaves and yellowing.jpegpulled back eucalypt mulch white stuff in there.jpegeaten leave on tiny pilly.jpegtiny pilly on slope .jpegpilly was bushy when planted 2 months prior.jpeg

Hi I too have problems with my Lilly Pilly's   planted in a rural setting ..at first my tube stocks were eaten by rabbits!!!!  Then magically the tough little ones grew back now that spring has hit they are not growing !!   They have leaves which appear to be half eaten or little nibbles out of them ... not rabbits as they ate the entire plant before we placed plastic protection cages around them.. Also then went to Bunnings and purchased 4 larger plants thinking the rabbits wont eat those and they didnt!!  yay ... however now they too arent growing and losing their leaves or half eaten... 

I cant see any lumps, no holes in branches, have looked under mulch to see grubs.. non present... the soil is moist they are in shade from afternoon sun...  ... we have almost 20 plants in all that we thought would grow fast to privatise our rural boundary... very sad.. please help ...

Should I use the neem oil even if there doesn't appear to be grubs?

Ill try and upload some pics 

Re: HELP my pooor lilly pilly crop

Hello @LillyPilWrKshop 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Looking at the three photos you posted it looks like the first one needs some liquid fertilizer, the second one seems like an insect attack and third one is definitely animal damage. In order to discourage further attacks I suggest spraying the plants with soapy water, the soap residue should give the leaves a bitter taste. You can also spray the surrounding area with vinegar. 

In regards to the conditions that you've mentioned, the only other thought that comes to mind regarding your plant's growth is perhaps they need more fertilizer. I propose having a look at PowerFeed 600mL Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle, @mich1972 and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: HELP my pooor lilly pilly crop

Hi @innessa  Looks like your Lilly pilly is screaming for a good feed. Also the soil looks very dry . As @EricL  recommended, liquid feed should help it and I also suggest adding some soil improvements around it to nourish the soil 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects