Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I get rid of an invasive hedge plant?

Helpatlast34
Just Starting Out

How do I get rid of an invasive hedge plant?

I am not able to provide photos, but I want to find out how to get rid of an invasive hedge plant. I had a row of Potostrums as a perfectly good hedge between my neighbour and self, but somehow a creeping hedge type plant grew up through it and eventually strangled and killed my Potostrums. I have cut it all back to ground level, and have tried to kill off the remainder of the creeper with Glysophate, but this thing refuses to die. it has woody stems coming out of the ground, but there are so many of them I don't have a hope in hell of spraying each one seperately and I cannot pull them out. Any suggestions for what I could try?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I get rid of an invasive hedge plant?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Helpatlast34. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about getting rid of an invasive plant.

You can use Roundup 1L Herbicide Concentrate in the following methods:

• Stem Injection Method:  Drill holes or make cuts to penetrate sap wood at 450 angle every 10 cm around trunk. Inject 1 ml of undiluted solution into each hole or cut. Application: anytime trees are actively growing.

• Cut-Stump Method for trees: Cut tree close to the ground and immediately wet the cut surface using spray, swab, or paint brush. Rate of application - one part Roundup Concentrate plus six parts water.

If you can locate and kill the main trunk with the above methods, the stems that are popping up will likely also be killed. Alternatively you could cut the stems and paint the freshly cut portion with Roundup.

Remember your PPE, including enclosed shoes, protective glasses, dust mask, and gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects