Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop lilly pillies dying?

innessa
Growing in Experience

How to stop lilly pillies dying?

30124B34-CA70-4AFE-A7AA-7268C9B19B28.jpeg

319AA480-9B59-4F08-81D3-8814643B033E.jpeg

   

2851ADE9-CB31-4FF2-BBEA-8EC5223E0991.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: lilly pillies dying

Hi there @innessa  thank you for sharing your concern about your Lilly Pilly. 
I zoomed into your photos and it looks like they have Psyllids which is an insect that attacks the new foliage causing the leaves to look like they have pimples on them. This is a very common problem with Lilly Pilly and easily fixed. 
Cut and remove affected leaves and throw into the bin. Don’t leave on the ground or put in the compost heap. 
Then give them a good spray all over with Eco Neem Oil or a Horticultural Soap Spray like Natursoap. 

Make sure you wear protective clothing, mask and gloves when handling an insecticide spray. 
Don’t spray in the heat of the day. Later in the evening or early morning. Follow the instructions on the bottle. 

Good luck with them. 😄

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

E4ECD585-4DAE-46E3-8B62-3A2B1A72DF40.jpeg

E456331C-18C2-462C-9B63-70173A743C88.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @innessa 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your lilly pillies.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @mich1972. I totally agree with the recommendation of using neem oil to control the insects. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as a long sleeve shirt, gloves, goggles and a dust mask when using the neem oil.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wooshka
Making a Splash

Can i add , i have had similar issues with ours, make sure you are a bit rough on the leaves and branches when you spray them get right into everything , you will see the little critters fall off and they cant get back up, even give them a bit of a brush with a soft rake ,this also knocks the Psyllids off

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wooshka 

Thanks for that extra recommendation, let me tag @innessa to make sure they see the suggestions that you've made. You're absolutely right the spray must be applied both above and below the leaves. Physical removal is sometimes necessary especially if the Psyllids have dug into the plant.

Again, thank you for sharing that extra information.

Eric

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @innessa,

Jumping into the discussion to suggest having a look at the Bunnings guide on How to grow and care for a lilly pilly in case you haven't already. It contains information that you may find useful, including advice on dealing with Psyllids.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to stop lilly pillies dying?

Here is a photo to show everyone who might have Lilly Pilly growing in their garden and are having the same problem. 
This is mine. I cut and remove, put it in the bin when it appears. The classic signs are the pimples. 

@Akanksha  Thank You for sharing the growing and care guide for Lilly Pilly, it’s brilliant and very informative for everyone 😀

55ABF75C-EC43-458B-AF99-49016D41E6A8.jpeg

innessa
Growing in Experience

8025E3E8-CF0B-4D8A-A94C-BD2BF503744D.jpeg

image.jpg

Why no leaves growing on the bottom? And plants are not growing straight?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @innessa 

Perhaps the plant is still young. How long have you had the Lilly Pilly in the ground? When was the last time you fertilized the soil? Lilly Pillies grow more leaves when they are aggressively pruned, however, it must be done at the right time and at the right stage. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects