Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive lilly pilly after green beetle infestation?

captlarkin
Just Starting Out

How to revive lilly pilly after green beetle infestation?

Hi crew,

im having a hard time with my Lilly Polly hedge. It was doing great until we got a Lilly Pilly green beetle infestation. I’ve managed to eradicate most of them with neem / eco oil mix, but I’m still having a lot of trouble with regrowth. Getting lots of green shoots but they are often dying out as small leaves. I also still have some nasty greying of old leaves and black spots… considering ripping them all out and starting afresh. Have attached some imagery, any advice on how else I can tackle the issue would be greatly appreciated. We have a dog so trying to avoid anything with too much potential hazards. Many thanks! 

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3517.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lilly pilly help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @captlarkin. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly pilly care.

You might like to read through this guide: How to diagnose and revive a sick lilly pilly

The good news is you have plenty of new growth, which is fantastic. The discolouration on the older leaves is residual build-up from infestations you've taken care of with the neem and eco oil mix. That discolouration will not go away. With time, those leaves will naturally fall off and be replaced with new growth.

Given the new growth, I'd stick with the plants, fertilise if you haven't, and keep your fingers crossed that they'll bounce back. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects