Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove outdoor wooden steps?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to remove outdoor wooden steps?

I have a staircase in the backyard garden and I want to remove it to clean and add drainage under the steps.

MessyMessy

I do not see a easy way of removing these steps.

IMG20230501093031_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG20230501093049 - Copy.jpgIMG20230501093457_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG20230501093540.jpg

Can not see anyway of removing the step on surface.

I don't want to destroy the steps but I see no other choice unless some one a better solution?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove outdoor wooden steps?

@Kvic 

I like the thinking, would the underside still need to be a drain of some kind as I would expect the stormwater to eat away under the concrete slab? Or am I missing something? I like how the edges would hide any messy cut edge of the concrete. I havnt gone down the track of a heavy duty grating like this so I cant suggest a place to by one. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kvic 

I suggest having a look at this option. Instead of having wings for the drain cover why not create a ledge inside the the drain channel itself to hold the cover. If done precisely there will be no tripping hazard when the grate is put into position. Plus, the drain channel can be levelled in the correct position so that the water gets drained away instead of settling in the middle.  

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to build the channel. The cover grate I've used is the EasyDRAIN Pressed Galvanised Grate, there are a few other options, but I believe this one will suite your needs nicely.

If you have any questions about the sketch, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kvic
Having an Impact

Thanks for that Eric

Lots of detail and work

This last rain we had gave me the opportunity to gauge the water problem at the bottom of the steps after the drainage system placed in the backyard above the steps.

The water pools around the base of the steps and has a hump in the concrete slab before the water can run into the drain in the middle of the entertainment area.

Any water unable to get over the hump is pooling and can be there for many days but I noticed that the water lays next to the expansion material between the slab and the blocks.

I also added some colouring in the water before the drain above the steps was laid and it could be seen that water is coming out from the surrounding areas to the slab and from under the steps and under or along the expansion material.

Bottom of stepsBottom of stepsUnder stepsUnder steps

I decided to test my theory.

I got my long wood hand saw and was able to remove the expansion material between the blocks and slab and the next day after a rain the slab was dry.

It seems that the water has run along or between the slab and blocks to the garden area by gravity.

This is the area after the rain, cleaning, painting and the expansion material being removed.

The day afterThe day after

A couple of notes about using the saw. The concrete slab is around 100mm thick but I was able drive the blade 200mm into the cavity as I want to run the drain across the front of the steps and down the block wall but was given many reasons not too but I may rethink this. 

What do you think Eric or should I just leave in alone as it seems I have achieved my goal.?

Which brings me to my next goal. I wanted to solve or reduce the water problem as much as I could which I have not seen any muddy water since the drain above the steps and the water there has been clear at the bottom of the steps and now the pooling is reduce or gone!

I want to repaint the slab.

Do I need to prep the slab before painting and what would you recommend for a paint, thanks ralph

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's looking fairly good @Kvic. If the water is draining away, that was the intention.

Painting the concrete does require preparation. It's a bit hard to tell from the images, but was the concrete previously painted? Concrete paints are designed to go onto bare concrete or previously painted concrete where the paint is still in good condition. Your paint appears that it has worn away and would not be considered a good condition, so you'll find most concrete paint manufacturers won't recommend their products over this surface unless the current paint is removed. There is the Rustoleum concrete paint available in the colours Armour grey and Battleship. It can be applied over a compromised coating if you use Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete & Garage Recoat Primer. Unfortunately, it is only available in those two colours, though it appears the previous coat was also grey.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell

According to my partner, she wasn't aware that the concrete was painted till she had power wash the surface and it would come off while cleaning.

While I did not notice any paint coming off on it's own or patches of loose materials of concrete she did say that she would try removing it with the pressure cleaner, that's not to say the paint is in good condition, I just think is would look great painted.

Most likely the colours of the 2 paints you have suggested would be close to the color on the concrete use in the day.

You didn't mention a way to prep the concrete so I will assume that would be difficult?

The primer mentions: Eliminate the need to sand, strip or grind off previous coatings. Simply clean, prime and coat

They all sound difficult but the concrete and the paint still attacked seem firm.

I didn't see the sense of painting the slab until the area was at it's best and I would like to see a really good rain, one like the video I posted earlier and make another video that shows the difference all this work and great information I was provided to see the result.

The partner says she can see a difference and thinks the water problem has subsided then that is the best appraisal.

Thanks Mitchell.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Kvic 

Your steps look good - but in the photo, is it still a problem to clean leaves and debris from behind? Just a mental exercise really, but I liked that product you mentioned earlier. However the maker won't give a price unless you become a member or e-mail them.

Interesting.PNG

Just a Public Holiday thought.Just a Public Holiday thought.

Anyway, I was wondering if they could be 'hinged' - then lifted and propped - for easier cleaning behind them?

Just coffee and idle thoughts. 🤔

Kvic
Having an Impact

Hi Noyade

The steps are very heavy and while you could hinge them I would think shoving the broom between the steps would be much more easy and only take minutes.

My partner suggested a leaf vacuum cleaner.

Maybe you could hinge a step, I share your passion to think beyond the normal!

Yes it can be monotonous in winter to find leaves back under the steps the next day then comes the other seasons and not so bad or ever green plants and trees.

As for email address to protect yourself, the trend is to setup a bogus email and personal details. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the primer I linked to @Kvic. You just need to clean the concrete, apply the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete & Garage Recoat Primer and then you can paint the area.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects