Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What happened with my Cypress?

alvin_1991
Just Starting Out

What happened with my Cypress?

20230611_110356.jpg

20230611_110403.jpg

20230611_110457.jpg

20230611_110446.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what happened with my Cypress

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alvin_1991. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the health of your Cypress.

The small amount of browning could be due to several reasons. Improper watering could be an issue, which includes over and underwatering, or there could be some type of disease or insect infestation, or nutrient deficiency.

How's the drainage in the pot, and do you only water when the soil begins to dry out? When was the last time you fertilised?

At this stage, if there are no apparent reasons for the browning, then it's likely going to be a wait-and-see type of scenario.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for the quick replied. 

Its weird how all my details have gone once i posted with the attachments. Anyways, I will rewirte it again. 

This Cypress has been with me for almost 2 years and its now in a 20CM pot, almost 50 inch tall. I water it 2 to 3 times once a week during summer and once a week during winter (like now). I water it when the meter shows 1 to 2 moisiture or sometimes 0. Average once a week at least. 

Currently the plant is facing East, direct sunlight from morning til 12pm at the balcony. I did not give fertiliser since i bought. I have checked there isn't any bugs or spider mites or insects around it as I always spray Neem Oil at the bottom and soil everytime when I finished watering. 

The appreance of the plant right now as you can see there is a "hole", if the brown thingy fully dried out, the" hole" will eventually become more visible. Which will spoil my cypress's appreance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alvin_1991 

Your Cypress seems quite big despite the small pot. I believe you are reaching the point where the plant will need to graduate to a bigger pot. Can you please check the edge of the pot and dig around 20mm down and see if the roots have reached the interior side of the pot. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to know when to repot your plants by @Adam_W 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Please let us know what you find once you've done your investigation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects