Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove large Agave plants?

digger64
Getting Established

How to remove large Agave plants?

Hi, I wish to remove these Agaves (Agave Attenuata I believe) as they are now to big for the current garden bed, have grown forward seeking sunlight, and now overhanging the outdoor area and want to know the best way to remove them? I also want to know if I can replant some of the plants pups, (as per one of the pictures) and how is the best way to to remove them from the larger plant for replanting? TIA 

Agave #1.jpgAgave Pups.jpgAgaves #2.jpg

A T Diggines
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove large Agave plants as now to big and overhanging paved area

Hello @digger64 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing your large agave plants.  Starting with the large Agave plants use a shovel to dig down at least 30 cm deep and remove as much of the root system as possible. If the agave is very large you may need to dig down up to 60cm deep.

Agave plants form large underground rhizomes and regenerate by sending up new shoots from the rhizome, so try to remove as much of it as possible. Continue digging around the perimeter of the plant to remove any hidden roots.

In regards to the pups, just try to make sure to get as much of their root system as possible. Especially if you are planning on replanting them. 

Over the coming weeks and months, keep an eye on the area and remove any new plants that pop up as soon as you see them.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grub80
Making a Splash

Re: How to remove large Agave plants as now to big and overhanging paved area

Hi @digger64 @EricL , I had the exact same issue with our agaves. I ended up slicing off most of the leaves first, as the plants were fairly large, and then I could talke the rhizome stem. I cur the stem back a bit, but left some to gain leverage to remove the plant using good old digging fork to loose the roots around and then using brute strength. I did take a while, but work on the root ball and you will get there.

as far as the pups, just plant them up, i grew some in pots, but you can just plant them in the ground, water them in, and keep them moist for a few weeks. Good luck 🤞 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects