Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install new lawn?

EnthusiasticBee
Growing in Experience

How to install new lawn?

Hello everyone!

We're planning on installing new lawn in our backyard and I'm really confused about the underlay options. I thought soil needs to go under lawn but been told recently sand is better option? 

We have removed old lawn and cleared the ground. What would be the next step, sand, soil or combination of both 😵💫

Also what type of turf would you suggest? We had Buffalo Palmetto but found it too hard on our feet and we have a little one now. So will definitely need to be soft leaf grass as that area will mainly be used as a play area for little one. It has plenty of sun during day and we have retic installed. And we're in Perth, WA 

Thanks 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install new lawn

Hi @EnthusiasticBee,

A new lawn, hey, what an exciting time! Lawns can grow in soil, sand and sandy loam. You'll find most topdressings (which can be used as an underlay as well) are a sandy loam, which consists of around 80% sand and 20% loam. It is widely accepted that a sandy loam or premixed topdressing is the best choice. 

How level is the area now? If there are large deviations, it's best to level the area before applying your underlay.

If your lawn will receive plenty of sun and won't be shaded, then Kikuyu would be a good choice. It has most of the same traits as Bufflao, though it has a thinner blade and is softer underfoot. It doesn't do well in heavily shaded conditions and requires at least 5 hours of light per day to thrive.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc, that is very helpful. 

Area is pretty level, we have levelled it once old lawn was removed. We are installing pavers to the portion of it where the cubby house will go so will make sure everything is levelled before the underlay is applied.

How thick should the underlay be? I've heard different suggestions, from 3cm - 20cm so not sure if there's a reason for such a huge difference in thickness?

Thanks 😊

The thickness of the underlay really depends on the quality of the existing soil @EnthusiasticBee. If the existing soil is in reasonable condition, then 50mm of underlay would be adequate, or if it is poor, then I'd go for 100mm.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc :smile:

mikepilling2
Growing in Experience

Re: How to install new lawn?

Hi, I am south of Perth and am very happy with my Kikuyu. Sir Walter Buffalo seems to be the premium go to locally for top end prices. 

as for underlay, if you are in Perth you are likely to have a sandy base soil, I would recommend looking at mixes that are a mix of compost and sand, locally it with be more compost than in other locales. Local landscape suppliers would be a good point of reference. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mikepilling2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your experience regarding new lawns. 

We are keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

Thanks @mikepilling2 

Yeah I thought that might be the case as our base is just sand. I thought of adding some compost to the sandy loam and some wetting agent as well just in case. But will definitely check with local supplier

It's good to hear lawn recommendations first hand from someone in the same area, tbh I wasn't even considering Kikuyu thinking as it is cheaper option it will not be as good. How soft is the leaf? And can it self-repair easily? It will be in toddler play area so I need something soft and durable 

Hi @EnthusiasticBee,

The leaf is quite a bit softer than Buffalo's, but I'd encourage you to check in with your local Bunnings store to see if they have some available to lay your hands on. That will give you a better idea of the softness.

Mitchell

Yes I had buffalo previously and as @MitchellMc @says the kikuyu leaf is softer. It is also a self repairing grass as it grows sideways. The trade off is it is invasive- can’t have it both ways. very drought tolerant is you have good soil prep. 

in all, I am very happy with kikuyu. Hope that helps @EnthusiasticBee 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects