Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add drainage to garden?

superkay005
Growing in Experience

How to add drainage to garden?

Hi experts,

I'm currently facing the drainage issue in my garden due to the continuous rain.

The water is stuck in my soil (obviously clay soil) which raised my concern. I tried to dig a ditch and planed to install a ag-pipe to guide the water into the surface drainage system in front of my garage. However I found that there's no way to connect the ag-pipe to the existing drainage ditch.

IMG_2381.JPGIMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

I went to Bunnings and founda potential product like this below, but it looks like I don't have enough space for a corner connector. What's your suggestion?

IMG_2386.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add drainage to garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @superkay005. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting drainage.

I think the easiest option would be to remove the soil in front of the drainage channel and then drill an appropriately sized hole in the side wall of it with a hole saw to accommodate your new drainage pipe. The pipe can be secured in place with Sikaflex 11FC, or you could use concrete around the joint. Alternatively, you could cut the existing drain back and insert a drainage pit in the corner, allowing you to connect your new drainage pipe to it.

You could use the corner section you've found, but you'd need to cut back the existing channel to be able to fit it in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much, @MitchellMc ! 

Yh I would try the first solution given above and I think the hole saw set is what I'm looking for.

For the drainage pipe, can I use a socked drain pipe and re-fill the trench by mulches? or I need to put gravel surrounding the pipe?

Thanks.

It's best to use a socked line to prevent sediment from entering it @superkay005, and drainage gravel above the pipe is the best way to let the water fall into it. You can then add mulch on top of that to improve the look of that side area.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @superkay005 

Ahhh clay, so much fun NOT... :smile: Time to start digging a long trench. An inch base of gravel, ag pipe and then cover with gravel to the top of the pipe and then pebbles if you wish will really change the drainage of the area.

I had a similar issue and actually faked the grate style drain and used a T piece of 100mm PVC piping. Here is the link to my project Fixing water ingress issues in garage  Step 4 is the part that shows the Ag pipe and the connection I used. It has really worked well.

Id go with @MitchellMc 's suggestion of gravel/rocks around the ag pipe. It helps stops fines from clogging up the sock and allows free drainage down the pipe. I didnt think it would work as well as it does. Totally impressed with how it has kept my area dry with downpours not even having water sit anymore.

btw which way does that concrete patio area slope? towards the garden or away from it?

Dave

superkay005
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Dave-1 

Your project gave me more detailed insight about Ag pipe installation. Very inspiring!

To answer your question, the concrete patio area slope from the front yard/street to the house/garage, and there's a long surface drain channel in front of the garage with no issue so far. So if I install the ag pipe along the trench shown on the photo, the water will flow to the channel area in front of the garage door. That's why I want to connect an Ag pipe directly to the existing channel. Hope I'm on the right track.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @superkay005 

Yeah that sounds like you are on the right track :smile: You wont be changing the overall quantity of water collecte, just channeling it differently so the existing piping should be fine. (was looking at the stormwater pipe from the roof to the drain as well)

Cant wait to see the photos when its done :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @superkay005 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your garden drain installed.

Eric

superkay005
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL thanks for following up! I can't wait to share the outcome here and I just finished today.

First of all, I'm so lucky. I supposed to get rid of the clay soil surrounding the surface drainage to check the drainage size. When I dug out the clay soil, I saw there's already an ag pipe under ground which has been already connected to the surface drainage. I did a test, the water came through!

That means I don't need to drill any holes haha, save a hole saw set!

IMG_2641.jpgIMG_2644.JPG

Then, the topic became "how to connect 2 ag pipes", which is much easier.

I went to a Bunnings store and talked to a very helpful staff to check if my plan is good and achievable.

With his guide and recommendation, I bought 65mm ag pipe (20m), a pipe connection kit. After that I bought 14 bags of blue metal stone from another garden supplies warehouse.

I spent 2 days to finish a nice and clean trench (so tired, I'm really bad at physical), and another several days for installing the pipe after work. For installation, I firstly put stones as underlay, and placed the ag pipe, then filled with stones, like other people did on YouTube video lol. Final step, instead of covering it by well drain soil, I covered it by a fabric mat then mulch.

IMG_2653.JPGIMG_2697.JPGIMG_2698.JPGIMG_2699.JPG

Fingers crossed. All the best to all my roses.

Thank you for all your help @Dave-1 @MitchellMc.Love this community! I will definitely come back again when I start another landscaping project for my backyard!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @superkay005 

Thank you so much for that update. That looks fantastic, what an awesome transformation. You've definitely covered all the bases with the gravel and mulch. This should provide you with good drainage for a long while.

Again, thank you for sharing such a great project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects