Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build own puppy-free garden fence?

kateym80
Just Starting Out

How to build own puppy-free garden fence?

Hello I am wanting to build a garden fence, for a small section of garden so my puppy can’t rip up my plants , on a budget and im renting - area is roughly 424m by 140m any ideas what to use 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: build own puppy free garden fence

Hello @kateym80 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a puppy fence.

Can I please clarify the measurements you've given? Is the garden area 4.24 meters long and is 1.4 meters wide? If it is, I suggest using Growies 25 x 25 x 1200mm Hardwood Garden Stake in combination with Saxon 105cm x 10m Wire Dog Mesh along with Crescent 200 x 4.6mm Black Cable Ties - 100 Pack.

The general assembly process is to drive the garden stakes into the ground spaced evenly around the garden bed. The wire mesh is then unrolled and straightened out before being place in front of the garden stakes. The cable ties are used to tie the mesh to the garden steaks.

Please note that this is a temporary fence and in time the garden stakes will eventually fail. If you wish to have the fence last longer, I propose using Saxon 110cm Black T Steel Fence Post. The best part of this fence is that it can be taken apart and used in your next home.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build own puppy-free garden fence?

Afternoon @kateym80 

Puppys and doggos... ahh they do like to terrorise the garden bed lol

I have used chicken wire and posts like @EricL has suggested and it does work. Tho my grandmas dog would still wiggle in and then my dog would follow making a larger hole :smile: Long story but it did hold up for a year or more with a bit of maitenance every now and then.

One thing I have followed and considereed a fair bit is this No Dig Fencing & Gates You can buy segmants to suit, the posts are pushed into the ground and its temporary! Not sure how big your puppy is or will get to be :smile: (They are a cheaper then id expect but still pricey to buy. Best bit is they can be reused)

Any chance of a photo of the area you are condisering? We could come up with some other ideas if you do have one or two overall shots.

Lastly Welcome to Bunnings community workshop :smile: Nice to have new members wander in and have a look around, I am sure you will find a bunch of ideas that suit your place in here :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects