Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build concrete garden beds and bench?

Pearso
Just Starting Out

How to build concrete garden beds and bench?

Hello fellow gardeners,

I'm planning to transform an old garden bed and bird aviary into a raised garden bed, bench seat, and veggie garden against our fence line. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this project.

Since it will be built against the fence, I intend to use treated pine for the back section of the planter box to allow for fence access if needed. For the other three sides, I'm considering either a concrete-formed wall or a besser brick wall. Here are a few questions:

1. If using besser bricks, should I lay a footing or place them wet in a mortar mix?
  2. To achieve a smooth finish, I plan to render the wall. Would this affect the wall type (concrete or besser brick)?
  3. For the planter box, we're thinking of lining the back with heliconias for privacy, then planting coastal-style plants in front. The end box will be designated for a kids' veggie patch.

I've attached a rough 3D design to give you an idea of what we have in mind, but please don't scrutinize it too closely!

Any advice or suggestions from experienced gardeners and landscapers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

3D Design3D DesignCurrent Garden Bed + AviaryCurrent Garden Bed + AviaryFantabulous Densor-Amur.f3d v5.pngDesign InspirationDesign InspirationDesign InspirationDesign Inspiration

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build concrete garden beds and bench?

Hello @Pearso 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a raised garden bed with seating. 

This is actually a very popular project and several of our members have built a similar raised garden bed. In regards to your plans, I believe it would be better to build the entire garden bed out of Besser Blocks or brick. Not that mixing building materials is bad, but it does make assembly a bit more complicated.  

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to lay bricks for raised flower bed? by @Brunnie_Rich. You'll get a very good idea of how the garden bed is assembled. Using the heavier materials, it will be necessary to dig into the soil in order to lay a good foundation. This will prevent the raised garden bed from sinking into the soil.

There should be no issue when rendering either Besser block or brick. However, I would like you to take a look at the one's made of timber as well.

Here are some fantastic, raised garden beds our Workshop members have shared:  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects