Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wicking bed

Highlighted
New Contributor

How to build a wicking bed

it all started with a large cleared area in my small backyard and the purchase of an "L" shaped Raised Garden bed.Assemble raised garden bed in a sunny positionAssemble raised garden bed in a sunny positionMake sure its levelMake sure its levelDrill holes in 90mm pipeDrill holes in 90mm pipeInsert pond liningInsert pond liningAdd drainage gravel and pipeAdd drainage gravel and pipeMake sure level and cap on one endMake sure level and cap on one endInsert compost worm farmInsert compost worm farmAdd shade clothAdd shade clothAdd pea strawAdd pea strawAdd potting mixAdd potting mix

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a wicking bed

Wow, impressive work @Maursie. What a fantastic project and a brilliant way to introduce yourself to the Workshop community. I'm sure your wicking bed will earn plenty of admirers and that you'll get loads of questions.

I'm curious about whether you have planted in the bed as yet and whether you've seen any great results so far compared to a standard raised garden bed which you need to hand water regularly. We've had some members sharing pictures of their harvests recently on this discussion - What to do in the garden in March.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm really looking forward to seeing more posts from you soon and trust that you'll also get heaps of helpful advice and project inspiration in return from other members of our amazing community here at Workshop. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you Jason, no plants yet as just finished but have seeds already to go and worms for farm. Watch this space..........

Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @Maursie. We will be keen to get regular progress updates. 😁

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects