Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the problem with my lemon Meyer leaves?

Angelsword
Finding My Feet

What is the problem with my lemon Meyer leaves?

20220109_164619.jpg

 Hi, beginning gardener here with a problem with my lemon Meyer plant leaves. Started about 2 or 3 weeks after I got it.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the problem with my lemon Meyer leaves?

Hello @Angelsword

Thank you for sharing a photo of your Meyer Lemon plant. Lemons can be sensitive about growing conditions and show signs of stress, like drying or dropping leaves, when they are not given the right environment. Lemons do well in soils with a pH level of 5.5 to 6.5 and need to be in a spot that has good drainage and where they get regular water. In extremely hot and dry climates, lemons may require an irrigation system to have a constant but appropriate amount of water delivered. But too much water can harm a tree. Dry leaves are not necessarily a result of thirst and you should check the tree before you water it. Continually soaking the ground until it is waterlogged will only increase the chance of disease and weaken the root system.

Another cause of dry leaves and branches is Anthracnose or commonly known as leaf blight. This often affects older weaker trees and is more prevalent during the rainy season. There is also the possibility of the over-application of fertilizers and additives. This can also cause the tree to be stressed. 

I suggest testing the pH level of the soil first and seeing if there is any deficiency. I recommend using either the Brunnings 3 in 1 Soil Meter Moisture/pH/Light) 74004 or the Manutec Garden Care Products Soil PH Test Kit. Once you have a better idea of the pH level of the soil, you can then put in the necessary additives to balance the soil. I propose removing the damaged leaves and observing the plant for the next few weeks.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Meyer Lemon recover. 

Let me tag our experienced members @BradN, @Noelle, and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects