Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wall using recycled milk cartons?

Lyndave
Building a Reputation

How to build a wall using recycled milk cartons?

We came up with an idea to recycle our milk cartons. What we propose to do wash our tetra milk cartons out and cut the top end off them. Then fill them with mud and use them to build a wall in the garden like a brick wall made from tetra cartons

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: recycling milk cartons

Hi  @Lyndave 

I love the concept of recycling your milk cartons the only thing is they have being designed to break down over time so your wall may crumble one  day which will undo your good  work .

Can I be so bold to add to you concept with the aim you achieve your projects goal.

Idea

Mix cut up chaff (straw 100mm aprox )and mix  it with the mud this will make your brick stronger when plastic milk cartons breaks down and self support more and a lille cement for a  stronger brick  1 cement to 5 mud may help but I am not sure about the clay/ cement chemistry if it will work as hoped.

If you have the clay add the straw  using the milk cartons as  moulds to get the brick shape.  Recycle  into milk cartons in to recycle bin so they can live again.

I am sure there are many mud brick makers out there that  can guide you better as to recipes, technic and application,

I think  like you too

I use coke bottles  with a flap cut in the bottom and  i bury em in to the ground next to plants so the roots get good water too at deep root level

Thankyou for that suggestion, it sounds promising, l still need to collect more milk cartons, but l will save your comment for future reference. Thankyou again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lyndave,

You've got some great ideas, and I love your enthusiasm for recycling. I'd imagine the cartons have an outer layer that is moisture impermeable, and you'll find it hard to stick the cartons together, forming the wall. Perhaps you could punch a wire through their centre to tie each layer together as you build up your wall. @Jewelleryrescue is on the right track, and it sounds like some cement binding agent would assist if you used the cartons as brick forms. If you're building anything over 450mm high, it would be best to ensure that your wall is stable and unable to collapse.

I'm really keen to follow along with your project and can't wait to see your results. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can be of assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lyndave
Building a Reputation

Thankyou Mitchell, at the moment it's just an idea, l am currently looking at the pros and cons, so l am going to see costs etc as we are on a pension. Currently saving up those milk cartons , so it will be awhile before l am ready, but all  suggestions welcome

Hi @Lyndave,

this sounds very cutting edge. If I was you I’d do a small scale prototype to check how it performs over one season before I’d go for the big project. 
Also note that tetra packs are composites and likely contain a plastic layer. You might want to check if there’s also an aluminium liner. 

Thankyou for kindly for the advice

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build a wall using recycled milk cartons?

What a great idea!  I am however with Jewelleryrescue on this.  The cartons will crack.  Have you considered having a mudbrick making party?  Though some of the bricks might end up being 'showpieces' after a while!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects