Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How long do Lily Pillies last?

shumm
Growing in Experience

How long do Lily Pillies last?

Hoping someone can advise please. We are on a sloping block and our backyard has great views of the hills but also has a not so nice view of the neighbourhood house roofs. We have decided to plant lily pilly ‘straight and narrow’ , 1 m apart, to block some of those views due to the height that can be expected from this variety. However, a late realisation that’s been bothering me is that I hear Lily pillys only live 20 years or so. Just not sure if this is the right plant for us anymore (as I don’t know if I want to be replanting a hedge in my retirement:D) or if there are other options to screen 6+ metres height in my backyard. Any thoughts / advice is greatly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lily pillies privacy screening 6+ m

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shumm. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about screening plants.

I believe 20 years would be a fairly conservative estimate for a healthy Lily pilly. However, let me tag @Noelle, one of our gardening experts, to see if she can provide her thoughts.

Have a look at this article on How to choose a hedging plant. Some other options other than Lily pillies include Photinia Robusta, Cherry Laurel and Ficus microcarpa hillii 'Flash'. Another option might be clumping bamboo. Here are a couple of excellent guides on How to select and grow clumping bamboo and How to plant a clumping bamboo hedge.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @shumm 

The average age lilly pillies may live for is around 20 years, but that will vary considerably according to what species or variety is grown, how well the trees are nurtured particularly in their early years and having chosen the correct type for your location and climate.

I have lilly pillies in my own garden that are more than 50 years old so I wouldn't really put too much emphasis on what the label or other resources may state about longevity.

Make sure you get the best local advice possible on what to grow, how to look after it in the formative years and how to prolong life as the trees mature by judicious pruning, feeding etc.

shumm
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the quick response!

shumm
Growing in Experience

Thanks very much for your advice. I’ve decided to stick to lily pillys for our backyard screening .. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects