Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a tyre garden?

Nathan06
Just Starting Out

How to build a tyre garden?

Looking to upcycle some old tires and turn them in to some tire gardens.

What is the correct process?

Once I collect the tires and give them a good clean, what is recomended to put at the bottom of the tire? Weed Mat? Mulch Mat. This is my first go and im in need of some advice. 

TIA

Nathan

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a tyre garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nathan06. It's great to have you join us. 

Let me tag some helpful members who might like to share their thoughts on how they would go about creating a tyre garden:

@Grub80@Jamespeter100@Remarka6le@LisasGarden@mich1972  

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Looking forward to seeing what you can create. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Nathan06 

@I personally have never used tyres in the garden, but I would assume (yep that word) depending where you place them in your garden and what surface you would be placing them, would determine what type of base you would use.

It would be determined what you would want to grow in them too.

i have used many tree rings to grow various plants/trees (a similar concept). I planted a tree digging up the lawn and filled thimage.jpge ring with bark mulch to aid stopping weeds and the lawn from growing again. This seems to work well.

I find drainage is key to successful 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nathan06 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a tyre garden. Using tyres as garden containers is a great way to recycle them. There are a number of configurations you can apply to a tire to turn it into a garden vessel. Have you seen a picture that inspired you to emulate and build one for yourself? If you've seen one, please don't hesitate to share it with us.

One of the most basic ways to turn a tire into a garden container is to block the bottom from the inside with weedmat. This is to prevent the soil from flowing out, but still allow the water to get through. However, this means the tire can't be moved otherwise the soil will spill out from the bottom.

Cutting the tyre is the most common method of configuration. One side is cut off or the wall of the tyre is cut off it all depends on your imagination.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects