Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a carport and kids play area?

gniyaz
Growing in Experience

How to build a carport and kids play area?

I am planning to convert my unused garden space into carport and kids play area. Looking for suggestion on what is the best option. 

Few things which I have considered. 

1. Remove the existing lawn as part of it is damaged because of using trampoline. Replace with concrete(removing lawn costs more)

2. Install outdoor tiles on top of existing lawn(costs less)

3. Buy this and install it or buy a shade sail. 

Installing a pergola is not in mind as the land is bit triangular. IMG1.jpgdimension.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestion on Carport

Hello @gniyaz 

Thanks for sharing your questions about converting your garden space into a carport and a play area.

This is an excellent project to be undertaking. It is technically two projects and although they are next to each other it's important to consider that they both need different requirements. Your carport needs a proper concrete driveway that can hold the weight of the car. If you are parking a large heavy car, the strength and thickness of the concrete must be taken into consideration. 

You mentioned the Marquee Charcoal Extendable Steel Gazebo, it's a great way to throw some shade in a play area, but keep in mind that this is not a waterproof product and is only good for providing shade.

Using concrete is a long-term investment, although it will cost more at the start it will provide a very long service life and need less maintenance when compared to tiles or pavers.

I suggest thinking about where the car will park and the kind of play area you are considering for your children. Do you need a fence to keep the two areas separate for the safety of the children? In regards to the play surface, I suggest using Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m Green Rubber Play Paver to protect them when playing in the area.

I recommend drawing out a preliminary plan on paper for positioning. I also propose having a look at the Swing and Play Set that will fit in your garden area.

Once you've made your plan, I suggest sharing it with the community. If any questions come to mind, don't hesitate to post them.

Here are some discussions you might find helpful:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects