Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Reo mesh trellis to Colorbond fence?

MelanieG
Just Starting Out

How to attach Reo mesh trellis to Colorbond fence?

 Hi, we are wanting to make a trellis for star jasmine to climb up in our garden. Our fence is colorbond so we were wondering the best way to attach it. Straight to the fence, if so what are your recommendations for doing so?

IMG_0981.jpeg

Or would we need wooden posts of some sort? Thank you for your help! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach Reo mesh trellis to Colorbond fence?

Hello @MelanieG 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about hanging Reo mesh on your Colorbond fence.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Attaching screens to Colorbond fence by @eemrun. The general idea is to attach a timber rail across the two Colorbond posts one at the top and one close to the bottom. But in this case, you can adjust its location depending on the size of the Reo mesh you are attaching.  

Please note I don't advise drilling into the fence panel as the screw becomes a cutting hazard on your neighbour's side of the fence. The Reo can then be attached to the timber rail using screws and washers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MelanieG
Just Starting Out

Thank you for your help Eric!

A couple more questions, what should I use to attach a the timber rail to the colorbond and is it better they are horizontal rather than vertical? 
Thanks,

Mel 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MelanieG

Your fence looks shiny and brand new, hence if it were mine I would be reluctant to be drilling into it anywhere. But that's just me.

I was thinking of fabricated wooden hooks poisoned over the top of the fence - the mesh and gravity will hold it in place. Later on, if things change, take it down - no holes.

20240409_074620.jpg

Just a second cup of coffee thought.

Cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MelanieG,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

One of the most popular projects on the Workshop site is Training climbers to screen a fence by @royq. You might like to check out using wire cable as an alternative.

All the best,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MelanieG 

If you are using the Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Treated Pine DAR, I suggest using the Zenith 10G x 40mm Galvanised Self Embedding Head Metal Screws Winged. But if you are using thicker timber, it's best to use a longer screw in the same category.

If the Reo mesh goes past the fencing post it would be better to have the timber pieces in a vertical position, but if the Reo mesh does not reach the Colorbond posts it would need to be mounted horizontally.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects