Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do funnel web spiders hide under gravel?

gene
Getting Established

Do funnel web spiders hide under gravel?

Hi im wondering if funnel web spiders like to hide under gravel? Do gravel patios attract either funnel webs or red backs? Its not a very sunny area i was going to put the gravel.I was going to make a rock border but now since I saw what looked like a funnel web, instead ill use the edging bunnings sell. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gravel patio and funnel web spiders.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gene. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about funnel web spiders.

Funnel webs typically prefer to build their tubular webs in moist soil or leaf litter, so I find it unlikely that adding gravel would encourage them; if anything, it would be more of a deterrent. Redbacks prefer dark and dry spaces and are not often associated with gravelled areas. 

I'd encourage you to minimise the spiders in your outdoor area by maintaining a clutter-free space and using a pesticide if necessary.

If it makes you feel any better, there hasn't been a death attributed to a funnel web spider since the introduction of an anti-venom in 1981, and the redback anti-venom has been successfully employed since the early 1950s.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gene
Getting Established

Re: gravel patio and funnel web spiders.

Thankyou for your answer, also I bought a weed mat made from plastic(not plastic sheeting) rather than fabric is this fine for under gravel? Thankyou.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do funnel web spiders hide under gravel?

That's perfectly fine @gene, and is what I use under gravel.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects