Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What nail size for hand nailing 70 x 35mm framing?

Ludikom
Finding My Feet

What nail size for hand nailing 70 x 35mm framing?

I'm looking to put a frame wall and insulation in my shed. I plan on nailing it together by hand.

bit confused about what would be the best size and type of nails to use ? and if bright nails would be ok ?

Thanks

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What nail size for hand nailing 70 x 35mm framing?

Hi @Ludikom,

Sounds like you have a great shed transformation on the way! Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist. I'll tag some of our experienced Workshop members @Seaton@Marty_greenshed, and @wooshka to check if they have suggestions. 

We would love to see your shed journey, please update your progress by posting photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

75 x 3.75 bullet head nails would do it, bright nails are indoor only.

I prefer screws even though if at home I can use the air framing nailer.

If your budget allows it I would use galv over bright, that is just my over engineering way of doing things though.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ludikom 

Thanks for sharing your question about what nails to use when using 70x35 for framing. @Brad's advice is spot on, galvanised nails are a better option because it can withstand being exposed to heavy moisture.

I recommend using the Paslode 75 x 3.15mm 500g Galvanised Bullet Head Nails to anchor your frame together. I also suggest having a look at the Irwin Quick-Grip Corner Clamp to help with starting out the corners of the frame.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your timber frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Ludikom
Finding My Feet

For the record I ended up hiring a nail gun with 75mm gal nails. Sped the process up considerable. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Ludikom,

That is a great option! We would love to see how your shed turned out, do you have photos you can share with us?

Katie

Alx
Cultivating a Following

Would strongly recommend using a pocket hole jig. Bunnings sell a Kreg pocket hole jig and they are the best. The problem with nails as wood expands and contacts they can lose their grip over time. I suspect a number of people may disagree with this but that’s life.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have a Kreg Foreman,35mm is too big to get it to clamp down to drill the holes with the HD bit (or any bit).

Been fine to make workshop cabinets and that is where I draw the line in the sand.

I have the set up's for dowels, biscuits and box joints, I am missing dominoes and dovetail jigs.

I will need to fix the lack of a dovetail jig once I move for box making and drawers.

Back on topic once you put the cladding on the frame the way you held the frame together becomes a bit of a moot point.

I do like screws over nails though...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Brad 

Thanks for sharing that information with our members, I've got a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320 and have used it to make some large timber frames using 70x35. On the condition that the correct screws are used, it does produce a very stiff frame assembly. 

Eric

Williamhandyman
Just Starting Out

Hello, as a rough rule of thumb - double the thickness of material for the nail length. A nail gun with 75mm nails as suggested is really good. The gang nails have a glue on them so they tend to hang on well. I build my shed about 40 years ago with with bright nails - hand nailed. It hasn't fallen down yet. The nails are in timber so not really exposed to much moisture. Sounds like you have it covered though. Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects