Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for workbench top replacement?

caxelby
Getting Established

Suggestions for workbench top replacement?

Hello all, I have this really big workbench for my woodwork projects, however the top now needs to be replaced as it is quite damaged and is also warped in parts which makes the surface uneven. It currently has an MDF top but I am not keen to replace with new MDF. What would you suggest I get to replace the MDF? Ideally I want something that will not swell greatly if moisture comes in contact. I need something hard wearing that comes in large enough sheets to cover in one piece. The bench is about 7ft long.

CECBF744-EC2E-43F7-8AC4-186E0FA8070B.png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Suggestions for workbench top replacement

Hi @caxelby 

What a  great work space you have for many projects  Nice

I would like to talk to you about  options so you may choose your new direction.  I hear you as to the warped top and that is also  telling me the wood  under the you current table top is on is also most  likely problematic too if you try remove the current top off the table carcass,  What I am saying  is it might be wiser to leave your warped top on and screwing a new panel on top as the weight should flatten most warping and will be flat and smooth by the time a heavier panel added.   Any thicker panel will raise bench height by  that  amount you can always trim table legs to compensate.

Now I personally use my table ( a smaller version of yours  close enough)  I choose to put a 19 mm ply on top as a scacrificial table top .  I can drill into it   hammer  items on it an not care if  if  hurt it as I do a range of heavy work and  at the end of the day I unscrew that sheet and turn it over and it is mostly a like new again. Its being 10 years and i havent turned mine yet. My table  has marks and scratches I love  because it is usable.

Option A  Ply in various sizes  thicknesses  and quality of  finishes. seal it with polyurethane increase water resistance . if you make table top larger by an inch  water will be less likly to wick into lower  table top crack fill first  and seal it with polyurethane too

Option B  Structual flooring (Partical board red tounge)  is designed to with stand  Edge wax coat and wax impregnated to resist moisture Guaranteed 5 months exposure to the elements thats unsealed  in its raw form. if you seal it with polyurethane  both sides as a precaution it will be all but waterproof,   https://www.bunnings.com.au/3600-x-800mm-22mm-flooring-particleboard-red-tongue-structural_p0148881  

Bunnings will cut to size and ask them for aloan trailer or  delivery option as you need.

You said your table  seven feet table  is approx 2130 mm  (which is great as many standard material sizes  are larger at 2400mm or  approx 7.85 feet that  simply means  you can have Bunnings cut a new panel to  size for you. The other key thing is the width of your table I am estimating your width is 23 inches to 27 inches approx 600mm to 700mm.  So please measure widith too to help us find you a one piece ready made bench top.

You can always  join butt up pieces together but never 100% nice.

Have you  ever considered  cutting  timber to size and gluing them together to make a solid bench top hardwood or softwood? this would be one heavy duty  work bench near indestructable.  If you choose this option we can flesh out to idea more.  but  requries  big clamps and you will need to plane the  top flat which  is a  modest skill

I would not recommend any laminated  nice looking panel as it will  be scratched up in no time  and prone to absorb water like your old  bench top and fail.

The following may require two panels joined together and they are oiled and will require oiling again every 12 month so not ideal  but a  bunnings offering.  https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-acacia-solid-oiled-hardwood-project-panel_p8330032

If your work bench is light duty you can have the   really nice stuff.

Interbuild Karri 2000 x 800 x 26 mm Timber Panel I/N: 0403226 $465

https://www.bunnings.com.au/interbuild-karri-2000-x-800-x-26-mm-timber-panel_p0403226

REALLY nice benchtop real wood photos dont do this justice I have seen in store.

This one is particularly nice with a  natural timber shaped egde(live  Edge ) and 30mm thick  but is only 635mm wide ie  2 feet wide you will need two of these back to back cut to size to have live edges both sides  an make it wide enough.  I would over hang this panel on your existing table top and  use the  off cuts to put in vertical trim attached to your  current desk vertical all round except  for draw area.

Interbuild 2200 x 635 x 30 mm Senna 1 Live Edge Timber Panel I/N: 0403227 $446

https://www.bunnings.com.au/interbuild-2200-x-635-x-30-mm-senna-1-live-edge-timber-panel_p0403227

Well @caxelby  I know other will help you too so thats great to help you find your solution enjoy your project ride

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions for workbench top replacement

Hi @caxelby,

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @Jewelleryrescue.

To throw another option in the ring, how about some Formply? It has a durable surface and is available in sheets large enough for your workbench top. It has a cross-lamination of the timber plys, so it's unlikely to be affected by moisture like the MDF.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects