Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How big should my garden shed foundation be?

Khrise
Just Starting Out

How big should my garden shed foundation be?

Garden Shed foundation.jpgGarden Shed foundation.jpgGarden Shed foundation - 3.jpg

Hi

I have just bought a garden shed thats 3x3 and I was thinking of purchasing this type of paver but I'm not sure how many pavers I need to get? Should I get extra so that there is a bit of a boundary/framing around the shed?

I prepped the area, tried to level it as much as I can. I poured sand and put a plastic sheet to stop the weeds from growing.  I'm doing all this on my own except when the foundation is ready, I'll get someone to put the shed all together. 

Brighton Masonry 400 x 400 x 40mm Sand Mypave Paver - Bunnings Australia

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How big should my garden shed foundation be?

Hi @Khrise,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is awesome you have joined us and started off strong with a great shed question. Our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc will be back online Friday to best assist you, but in the meantime, let me tag our wonderful Workshop members @Nham and @DIYgals to see if they can lend some advice. While you wait, check out these top 10 most popular garage and shed projects for some great inspiration. 

We would love to see your project come to life, please keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Khrise,

You'll need eight pavers in either direction or 64 pavers for the whole area.

If you check your installation instructions for the shed, they'll typically require you to pour a concrete pad with a rebate on the edge, so any water that falls onto the exposed concrete doesn't creep back inside the shed. If you're laying your shed on pavers, you should expect some water creeping under the edges. This could be somewhat mitigated by caulking a bead of Sikaflex 11FC onto the pavers and placing the shed walls on top of it. 

Alternatively, you could cut the pavers down so your shed sits perfectly on top of them and doesn't leave the exposed lip to capture water.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Khrise,

Reading this, I can't help but think you need a concrete pad.

Pavers won't stay where you want them over time, no matter how well you compact them before the shed goes on top of them.

This is only my opinion, but also with having to drill into the edges of the pavers, with a rotary hammer drill to hold down the building, you could have them split or crack, which is false economy.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects