Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for wheels on this workbench?

ethan18
Getting Established

Suggestions for wheels on this workbench?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

Any recommendations for heavy duty wheels for this workbench that will be compatible with it

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: I’m looking at wheels for this bench

Hi @ethan18 

The answer to your question depends on what you will be using the bench for and how often you want to move the benches around.
If movement is the main requirement then I will leave it for one of the Bunnings contributors to recommend the best wheels for the job.
If on the other hand you want to be able to use the bench for working on heavy objects and hammering, but only occasionally moving it, I recommend not putting the bench on wheels in the standard manner. If you do that it limits the contact with the floor to only where the wheel bottoms touch (it can slide), and it also limits weight and impact bearing abilities to that which the wheel axles can cope with.

I have my benches on a system with retractable wheels, following this ingenious, simple and cheap answer to that problem (wheels and no wheels), which was created by Jim Marino .

You can see it in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l42K0s6E7vA

I hope that is useful to ponder.

ethan18
Getting Established

I will be moving, this bench, back-and-forth a lot so I need some wheels that can handle a good amount of weight and can handle being pushed back forward

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ethan18,

As @TedBear has touched on, altering the design of this storage rack by adding wheels will throw off its weight-bearing characteristics and stability. This style of storage shelf is not designed to have wheels added to it. I have safety concerns with this idea, especially if the rack will be carrying a good amount of weight. Due to the locking mechanisms, you couldn't attach wheels to the bottom shelf as it would raise it, and the locking pins would disengage. That would only leave you with the uprights to attach wheels onto and I don't believe there's enough material to attach heady-duty wheels to there.

If you are after a moving shelving unit, I recommend investing in one that comes fitted with wheels, such as the Montgomery Chrome 6 Tier Wire Metal Shelving Unit With Wheels. This shelving unit is capable of holding up to 65kg per shelf. If you are after a more heavy-duty system, I suggest using the Rack-It products and their compatible Rack It 1000kg Workbench Castors - 4 Pack

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The shelf I was going to move up I can add some wood to the bottom as extra bracing if needed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How tall is this workbench/shelving unit @ethan18? If it is wider and longer than it is tall, you could consider your idea as it wouldn't be a toppling risk. However, I strongly advise using an existing unit with wheels that is designed for that purpose. You'll find our range of castor wheels on the Bunnings website and they'll list their weight capacities.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects