Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Space-saving tool cabinet

Alx
Cultivating a Following

Space-saving tool cabinet

Cabinet gives 4 times hanging space. Inside front doors outside and inside second doors and back. Using French cleats system allows moving tools around until you get them in a satisfactory position.  I have modified the setup with the French cleats since taking this photo. The cabinet itself is hung on French cleats. Space in my 3 x 2 metre shed is at a premium. It is still a work in progress.

Materials

Size of cabinet 880x660x390mm made from scrap 18mm chipboard. Piano hinges for 4 doors. Drawers hold bits and pieces (screws, sharpening stone, dowel jigs, etc.

Tools

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Space saving tool cabinet

Hi @Alx,

Such a great space saving project! Thank you for sharing your tool cabinet with the community. I agree that French cleats make re-organising easy. It would be awesome to see a photo with the new set up. You mentioned it is still a work in progress, what is next to tick off your list? 

Well done.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Alx 

Envious is the word I will use! All my tools are stacked in a hutch type deal. I have been half thinking of how to store them as like you said space is at a premium (My tool room is the laundry lol) Think I will try and incorporate something like what you have done and the sideways sliding tool shelf I have seen in the community workshop also.

Nice use of space for sure!

Dave

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Haha @Dave-1, my front bedroom is currently our workshop during our renovations! I cannot wait to get things organised. I look forward to seeing what you create with your space.

Katie

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@KatieC 

hahaha Well on my new list (and yeah it always changes priority) I have

Fix balcony concrete and replace handrail.

Maybe put an awning above the patio area.

Relook at Laundry storage. (keep an eye out for a tool trolley that dosnt look liek a tool trolley for inside the house)

Front foyer retrofit and install some bookcases for DVD's and multimedia type stuff.

Kitchen rip out and replace. (inc dining room area rip up tiles from kitchen and dining room)

Bathroom modify using the tile pain and maybe putting in a larger bath.

Redo the main bedroom

Spare berdoom...

and then the list waffles on and fades away. 

I must say that watching everyons projects certinly brings into focus what I want to do next :smile:

Dave

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Big list @Dave-1, but I know you are going to smash it out in no time! My mom's advice to me was just take it one room at a time and focus on only that, so to not overwhelm me. So far, so good. I am really looking forward to seeing your kitchen, dining, and bathrooms transform. 

Katie

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Space-saving tool cabinet

Alx that is one super-organised tool cabinet!  Congatulations on the design and easy access ideas.  

Thanks also for introducing me to such things as French cleats!  I have just the project for them! 👏

Cheers 👍🏻

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Dave-1 what a workload!  I agree there are so many fantastically inspirational  ideas out there!  By accident I discovered if you click on a profile photo of a member who is doing similar projects,  you can see all their photos.  I've seen lots of tool storage ideas - especially the mobile oak cabinet  https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/31347)! 

It's a work of art!

Btw ... when you're doing your kitchen, remember to make every door handle accesible e.g. so  the fridge door handle is on the correct side of the cabinet and doesn't open on the wall side! 🙄😖

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tyro 

Let me tag @Dave-1 to make them aware of your suggestions. I totally agree, the tool storage ideas available are amazing. If you ever decide to build one for yourself, make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you build.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Tyro,

Make sure you check out our collection of Tool storage solutions by Workshop community members as well as the Top 10 most popular garage and shed projects.

You can also head to Featured Projects and browse by Garage and Shed

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects