Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

Here's the tool cabinet I made a while ago. I wanted something simple, mobile and could be split into two parts if I ever moved house. The materials used are veneered red oak ply from Bunnings, birch ply, solid red oak (Bunnings) for the doors and all the edge banding was done using iron on white oak. All joinery is tongue & groove / dowels.

IMG_8918.JPG IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG IMG_8922.JPG

If theres enough interest I'll upload the construction.

Re: No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

@theparlourroom Thanks, I hope it inspires.
Gunner2056
Getting Established

I am amazed at the top quality you have used on it, I am not that good but it is an idea for my Men's Shed I'm with, so if you decide to upload the construction I would be grateful.

@Gunner2056I have the sketchup plans if you want them, as for the construction its all on here.

Thurlo90
Finding My Feet

Would love some help on how you did the design using sketch up 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Thurlo90,

If you're looking for advice on how to use Sketchup, you'll find plenty of online tutorials to follow. It's a fairly complex tool that allows you to create 3D objects. Once you've learned the basics, you'll be able to start creating 3D renderings like what @PeakyBlinder71 has put together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Thurlo90Like @MitchellMc said Sketchup has lots of tutorials, some really good ones on youtube so you might want to start there with your search. 3D rendering programs are great tools to learn and well worth the effort. Good luck.

@PeakyBlinder71 

Just wondering where you got the veneer sheets? I’ve only been able to find veneer available online but would definitely prefer a local source so I can see what I’m buying before I buy🙂

Hi @Missgee , Everything is purchased from Bunnings. Red Oak plywood sheets, here's the link:

Red Oak Plywood

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Missgee. It's brilliant to have you join us, and great to see you jump into the discussion.

I trust @PeakyBlinder71's answer is helpful. You'll note that these are plywood panels with a Redwood veneer already applied. Are you after just the veneer itself? Unfortunately, we don't stock any veneers in-store, but you might like to speak with one of our helpful Special Orders team members to see what is available for order in your area.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects