Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build external barn doors?

GoClappers
Just Starting Out

How to build external barn doors?

I have just discovered the Bunnings Workshop and I am amazed at the beautiful work But the members. I found the forum by searching Google for how to build barn doors. I notice there are a number in the workshop but could not find any actual plans. I get the tongue and groove panels on the interior but don’t understand the outer frame or diagonal supports of the door. The doors I wish to build will be on a western facing external wall of a large shed. The two doors will each be 3600 height and 2000 wide.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I would like plan fpr building external barn doors

Hello @GoClappers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about barn doors.

Think of your barn door as a layered structure. Each layer serves a purpose, if the tongue and groove are the centre layer the top and bottom would be the structural support of the door. They provide rigidity and support for the centre layer, they also prevent the door from twisting and shearing, that's why they are assembled in such a manner.  

The outer frame is dependent on the size of the door and the timber you'll be using. Having a very thin outer frame will make the door look unbalanced. The same is true if the frame is too thick it will look ungainly. A visual balance is the key to a good-looking barn door. I've placed a sample plan below to give you an idea of how you can lay out your top and bottom frame. Please keep in mind that the design is for reference only, I suggest adjusting it to your preference.

Let me call on our experienced members @LePallet, @GeoffB and @woodalwaysworks for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GeoffB
Having an Impact

Re: How to build external barn doors?

Hi Go,

I can help you with a design for the barn doors. As they are external doors and a large size, I would recommend either solid timber doors or the layer system. Have you any preference for the type of timber and the finish on the doors. Do you want the one sided or two sided.

Geoff.

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build external barn doors?

Gday @GoClappers 

That sounds like a really large door x2. I build doors and these sound huge. If these are going to be external I would recommend having a steel frame support either built into the door or utilise it as the back or front external frame 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects