Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need blade retaining flange for GMC M1275 circular saw

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

Need blade retaining flange for GMC M1275 circular saw

Several years ago I purchased a GMC Circular saw from Bunnings.  It was Model MX1275 1200W & 184mm blade.

The saw has worked flawlessly and is still fully operational but not usable.

It has a 16mm blad arbour (bore in centre of blade for fitting)

The reason it is no longer usable is that, because it needed a blade with more teeth, it was recently fitted with a new blade that had a 20mm arbour that came with a 16mm adaptor.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, when used the adaptor failed and the outer blade flange was damaged. The inner one appears to be o.k. still but I can't be sure until I'm able to refit a blade and try  it out.  So a pair is ideally what I need.

I attempted to get a replacement from Bunnings by visiting an information centre in store.  Sadly, I was simply told that GMC were out of business and there was nothing Bunnings could do.  - A somewhat disappointing response.

So, I wonder, is there anyone out there who has a similar GMC circular saw that is no longer working but still has an outer blade flange in sound condition.  I would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the part and postage if anyone can help.

As the above request is probably a long shot, it would also be helpful if anyone could suggest where I might have a chance of obtaining such a part or, at least, the specifications so that I could get one made by an appropriate tradesman.

Thank you for reading.

p.s.  I have listed this here because there does not appear to be an option on the site for a question of this type.  Adding one may be extremely  useful for many who may have similar 'parts in need' queries that might be answered by someone with an old tool sitting around because, although complete, the motor or some other part has failed and it is no longer usable.  It would be a great place for us to be able to help one another out.  (Bunnings, please note.)

outer retaining flange outer sideouter retaining flange outer sideouter retaining flange inner sideouter retaining flange inner sideOriginal MX1275 Instruction bookletOriginal MX1275 Instruction booklet

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need blade retaining flange for GMC M1275 circular saw

Thanks for your message @nonsibicunctis. I'm sorry that the Bunnings team is unable to help because the tool and its parts are no longer available in market. 

I just wanted to stress to please be extremely cautious with any repair to the tool given the potential for serious injury. We would recommend investing in a new circular saw and would be happy to suggest something that suits your budget. The Best Advice article What circular saw do you recommend? might also be useful for you.

The Garage and Shed board is appropriate for a post of this type, along with the Tools and Materials label. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @nonsibicunctis 

Frustrating when the product s no longer being made I know. Companies do go out of buisness and wish all their spare parts would end up in a big warehouse somewhere :smile: Its a dream but hey. That said sometimes the company you were looking for fgets bought out by a new one and still has old parts?

Or add yourself to a few local facebook for sale sites and have a search, a lot of peole sell old broken too or offer them for free. (The algorithim will send you more suggestions as you search so it becomes easier)

As @Jason says be aware of trying to fix an old tool if you are not in the service industry of the item. 

Good luck :smile:

Dave

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

Of course you will recommend purchase of a new circular saw for you will make a profit from selling one.  Indeed, you have already done so in selling me the one for which your company now shows absolutely no interest in helping me obtain a part.  Perhaps such would be the case again, should I purchase another saw from Bunnings.  When I bought the GMC saw I was assured that it was a sound brand and well supported.

I find it highly disappointing that your service staff simply dismissed my need without any attempt or suggestion to resolve the issue.  I find it hard to accept that such a small part cannot be obtained in some way but then, perhaps I was the only one to purchase that particular saw and perhaps it was the only one ever made.

I'm not sure why you included your comment regarding which boards were appropriate for my post as I believe those are where I sent it, though I forget and may be wrong.  More likely, I imagine, is that this was in reference to my p.s. in the original post and, effectively, a rejection of the suggestion.  Again, I find that disappointing because your other options, including 'Garage and Shed' and 'Tools and materials' are not really appropriate to the sort of issue I raised.

It is sad that Masters did not survive and that Mitre 10 is now the only real alternative to Bunnings for most retail hardware and similar supplies.  Masters was superior in both price and service to both current major providers.  A major problem for consumers today is the power of large organisations that are able to monopolise access to products and which are concerned, above all else with profit, often to the detriment of customers. 

So, thank you for your 'sorry' but I find it hard to believe that it holds any genuine remorse or concern.  An organisation of Bunning's size and resources, in my view, ought to be able to do much better than this, particularly when it sourced and sold the product originally.  The dismissive response that "the tool and its parts  are no longer on the market" is redolent of the responses given by politicians when they don't like a question or comment that is accurate but reflects badly on them.

Dave, thank you for your suggestions and attempts to help.  It is far more than Bunnings' staff took the time or effort to do.

I long ago deleted my Facebook account and virtually all of my other 'social' media accounts.  I did so because I used the Internet virtually from its first availability beyond government and a handful of universities.  It was text only and bulletin boards were the main means of discussion.  It was a civil and 'social' communication channel then.  Sadly, that didn't last and platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, for instance, soon became replete with trolling, obscenity, populist fictions, false reporting and mis and disinformation.

Jason was probably well intentioned in his warning regarding repair.  However, it was not really relevant as I am not trying to repair anything.  I simply need a replacement part that is meant to be attached and removed by the user in order to change blades.

As for the 'service industry' - I have had almost nothing but poor performance from it, coupled with severe over-charging, frequent lack of competence and literacy levels so low that, in many cases, there was no chance to make a need clear to the "qualified" trades-person.  Indeed, in Australia, (and probably many other places), trade training has become so poor and competence testing and certification so pathetically inadequate that, in many cases, it is more dangerous or likely that one will obtain a poor result from a tradesman than if one does the job oneself.

The days of reliable and competent trade training have largely disappeared.  Master craftspeople are now very few and far between and the introduction of private providers to the training area has meant obscene profits obtained by organisations largely offering 'training by numbers' and abysmally low standards of competence being awarded certification - because people are not going to pay an organisation with a low pass rate or demand for high standards.

So, thank you.  I do appreciate your attempt to help.  I wish you well.

This is an old GMC 184mm saw. I don't know the model number.

16mm appears to be common but it's the flat section that changes with each saw. To my eyes this is around 13.25-13.5mm.

What dimension do you have?

20230906_125557.jpg

HI, thanks for responding.

On my flange, from one straight edge to the other is 10mm

Excuse me but did you measure inside the gap? 

Take care. Stay safe.

Morning @nonsibicunctis 

"Excuse me but did you measure inside the gap?"

Yes, probably 13.6mm - just a fraction bigger so it fits over the spindle. Clearly too big for your GMC.In addition to the suggestions above - have you looked at pawnbrokers for a replacement saw? The World is turning to batteries and corded saws seem to be very cheap there. The Skil and big GMC seen below were $15 and $25 respectively. Neither saw had ever been used and the GMC came with the original packaging and usually with three months warranty.

Just a Thursday morning thought.

Cheers!

20230907_075119.jpg

Good thought, thank you.  I really do appreciate your effort to help.  It's good to know that there are still people such as yourself who are kind enough to offer time and effort to help someone in need.  As a low and fixed income pensioner, perhaps I appreciate it more than some but, given the materialist and opportunist nature of our society and the number of those who choose to defraud and scam - not caring what disadvantage they cause - your actions and those of most, if not all, on this site do much to lift me from despair at the state of mind of so many in our world.  Take care. Stay safe.

Might be more miss than hit...

ToolSparesOnline - Tool spares for Triton, GMC and Silverline Tools

No direct listing but they may know the answer if another brands spare parts will fit.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects