Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create pulley system to store paddle board?

janiepalmer
Just Starting Out

How to create pulley system to store paddle board?

Hi I would like to know please if anyone could give me a simple step by step on how to do a pulley system with my stand up paddle board. I already have to snatch block pulleys installed to my carport just don’t remember how to thread the rope through.

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to create pulley system to store paddle board?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @janiepalmer.

Let me tag some helpful members who might like to share their ideas with you: @TedBear@Brad and @Dave-1   

Previous discussions How to mount canoes in shed? by @dondon23 and How to store kayaks in a garage? by @nixybrown should also be helpful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks you 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @janiepalmer 

I love the idea of using the "height" space to lift things out of the way.

When we have talked before about doing this concern has always been about the added weight to the trusses/ceiling supports. How heavy is your paddle board when wet is one factor to take into account.

Do you want to use one rope or two to raise the paddle board? 

So if you have one rope hooked on your paddle board then through the pully your lift will be hard.

If you have one rope on the paddle board connected to a hook on a bottom pully up through the top pully then back down to the bottom pully then goes back up through the top pully a second time it will halve the effort to lift. Running two ropes at either end may be a little more involved to bring them together. I stand at the bunnings pully isle and actually lay out the pullys I need on the bench with imaginary rope :smile:

I will see if I get tiome to draw up my explanation a little later. Work is calling atm :smile:

Dave 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @janiepalmer , the answer depends on 2 things....

1) Does your paddle board have lifting points attached? 

2) What does it weigh?

If it is under 22kg, you could consider replacing what you have with this bike lifting system.  If its too heavy for that system, the ropes shown on that system will give you an idea of how to run the ropes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/delta-single-bike-ceiling-hoist_p0086005

If you don't have lifting points you'll need to get 2 adjustable webbing slings, one to tighten around each end, to lift on.

In any case, you'll need 2 more pulleys and 2 carabiners to attach the board, if you don't already have them. 

Attach a rope to the ceiling support near the pulley, run it down through the bottom pulley, up and through the ceiling pulley, then off to the side (preferably not off to the end of the board else the 2 ropes will be too far apart for you to pull them together). Then you'll need to mount 2 cleats to tie the ropes to the wall, unless anchoring points already exists. Hopefully the drawing from @Dave-1 will make it clearer.

Hi @janiepalmer,

It's great to see you've already received some excellent advice from our members. 

With only two pulleys and if the board is relatively light (I suspect it is), then you should be able to get away with a system similar to what I've illustrated below. If the board doesn't have mounting points that carabiners can be added to, you might need to make up a couple of slings to go around the board. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects