Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat garage roof timber battens?

Yammuna
Getting Established

How to treat garage roof timber battens?

We recently bought a 30 yr old house and the garage has timber battens on the roof. It's pretty old, looks worn out but not as much if it's time to replace it. So need to know if some cleaning and wood treatment will extend its lifetime for a few more years. 

Attaching the picture for reference. Has anyone come across such a scenario? Any diy ideas welcome. Thanks! 

IMG-20231020-WA0004.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to treat garage roof timber battens?

Afternnon @Yammuna 

Mmmm Toytal cost :surprised: lol I actually kept all the reciepts with the plan to add them up but ended up too nervous to do so! Might have a rough calculation tonight/tomorrow night lol Will let you know.

Yes I lined them myself for plasterboard sheets I bought from bunnings 2400mm*1200mm I think.

I also did the stud walls myself and cornice. I had a carpenter mate help me out with the external window/door and again later on fro the internal door as I was not confidant I would get it right. Afterwards I said yeah I prob could have done that but it would have cost a few more hairs turning grey lol

Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 

Garage lining for stud walls stage 2 Cornice and skirting boards 

They are the two stages of actuall conversion, there are later projects for the bookcase fitout and lighting I think.

It was a LOT of fun and really felt like I gained a room and not just modified a garage. (Tho now I want a workshop area! lol)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects