Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stick insulation to roller door?

dean3
Just Starting Out

How to stick insulation to roller door?

Hi

i I have a Reflecta garage door insulation kit to fit,

wondering what is the best silastic to use to stick the 10 mm insulation to the roller door 

regards

Dean

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stick insulation to roller door?

Hello @dean3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about what silastic to use.

I tried to contact  Reflecta GDI but they are closed for the Holidays and will be back after new year. I also looked into their installation manual but there was no mention on the brand of silicone to use. Is your roller door a large panel type system or small individual panels?

Here is the link to the installation page: Reflecta GDI

I propose having a look at the Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant. It is 100% silicone and is neutral cure. This means that it does not use acid-based chemicals which can harm material surfaces.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

My sincere apologies that Eric was not able to provide the assistance you need at this time @dean3. Please let us know if the project is urgent. 

I will ask our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc to assist as soon as possible in case he has had experience with this product, but unfortunately it sounds like it might not be until the new year before we can contact the manufacturer for you. 

Apologies again, and let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So sorry for the delay in my reply @dean3.

The Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant is the correct silicone to use as per the manufacturers' guidelines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

hi @dean3, how did your project go? did you end up using the Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant ? what double sided did you use?

hi @MitchellMc and @EricL , I have one doubt about this silicone. In the description, it says "Not for use on polyethylene, polypropylene or Teflon". However, Reflecta GDI seems to have a polyethylene material that is possibly incompatible with this silicone. Sorry, I haven't seen physically the Reflecta GDI. Kindly advise.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dhanz15 

Thanks for sharing your concern about the silicone. If you have a look at the GI Building Sciences 10mm 0.5 x 24m 12m² Reflecta Garage Door Insulation on the Bunnings website, you'll see several pictures of the product. The second picture shows the construction of the roll with the aluminium lining both on the top and bottom with the polyethylene in the middle.

You are correct that the silicone is not compatible with polyethylene. But the silicone will be adhering to the aluminium foil surface not the polyethylene. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

dhanz15
Getting Established

Thanks mate. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects