Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal the bottom of shed walls?

jjebw
Building a Reputation

How to seal the bottom of shed walls?

Hello, anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to seal the bottom of the shed walls? Sand and debris keep coming in and building up. It is a metal shed with a concrete slab, the walls are also staying to rust at the bottom.

16441240022555633016107606068710.jpg

16441240353951833967289392693093.jpg

Sath
Growing in Experience

Re: Seal for shed walls

Many thanks Mitchell for your reply, Very clear indeed. How do i go out removing concrete without impacting the rim? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sath

I suggest using a Kango Masonry Bit to drill into the concrete if you don't want to harm the rim. Upon reaching the aluminium rim you simply use a standard steel bit rated for cutting into steel.

My number one tip is to make sure to drill in a flat horizontal angle. If the angle is wrong, water will not seep out of the channel. One other method you can try is to use a larger drill bit allowing you to slightly swivel the drill to make a larger hole in the concrete.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to seal the bottom of shed walls?

Hi jjebw

There are far more experienced people in the Workshop Comminity, but as a rust inhibitor I've always found WD40 or spray on fish oil great for the job.

As for the sand and dirt ... if it's coming in from under the walls, try running a thick band of silicone or gap filler around the outside edges on the floor.

Good luck!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to seal the bottom of shed walls?

Congratulations jjebw

That's turned into a great space! 

After my previous post I wondered if the sand  coming in is beach sand?  If so it will have salt in it.  If so the salt is likely to be causing the rust.  So maybe painting the shed with anti-rust paint might be needed.  Your local  Bunnings guru's will be the best ones to help you with that as they'll be familiar with similar environmental related problems and how to best deal with them.

Good luck!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi MarcinW

I come from a very wet climate.  How about deflecting the water run off before it can run down the walls?  Maybe run some galvanised sheeting from under the house eves to the other side of the shed apex.

20230609_211930.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tyro 

That is an excellent suggestion let me tag @jjebw to make them aware of your recommendation. 

Eric

Sath
Growing in Experience

@EricL @MitchellMc Working away with your suggestions, the leaks from the side panels have stopped. Tested with the rains :smile:

Now the shed doors are showing similar leaks, that is the channels collect water on the inside and starts pouring inside when it rains hard. See pics. How do i drain this?

Also there is a gap at the below the doors, Should i put a rubber seal ? inside of the shed door where it pours out of the channelinside of the shed door where it pours out of the channeloutside of the shed dooroutside of the shed door

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sath 

I believe that the moss and mould collecting in the channel has created a seal between the drain channels. This in turn now prevents water from draining out. I suggest washing the channels with 30 Seconds 1L Outdoor Cleaner Spray. Wash the door channel vigorously with your garden hose. 

Once the channel has opened up, I suggest drilling a drain point on the door just as you did on the side channels of your shed. This should prevent water from gathering in it.

In regards to the rubber seal, I suggest having a look at the Moroday Rubber Seals in the store and see which one suits your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects