Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a nylon rod?

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

How to cut a nylon rod?

Hi Bunnings Community.

I have a length of 20mm nylon rod that I need to cut into 20mm lengths. I am thinking of using my Ozito 210mm Mitre Saw. That should give me nice straight ends. Wondering if there are any thoughts on the best saw to use? I would expect a high tooth count and small kerf. 

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting Nylon Rod with a Mitre Saw

Hi @Lawzy,

Thin kerf would be the way to go, but there is some contradicting information on tooth count. I think on a 20mm rod the max TPI you can get would work, but the concern is that the small tooth will gum up with melted plastic. If you're only doing a dozen or so cuts, this might not be an issue. Otherwise, you'll have to stop and clean out the teeth. However, timber-cutting blades will typically work fine for your purpose. Remember to remove the plug from the wall when cleaning the teeth out and wear safety glasses when cutting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc ,

That is interesting.  Given I have the standard timber cutting blade, I’ll give it a go. Thanks,

Chris.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Lawzy; we'd be keen to hear your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects