Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shed door lock?

mcandrew
Getting Established

How to replace shed door lock?

IMG20230627114807.jpg

IMG20230627114801.jpg

IMG20230627114754.jpg

These shed door handles/locks and hinges rattle loose. What would be the best replacement? Thank you    

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best Shed Door Lock Replacement

Hi @mcandrew,

I'd suggest it has more to do with how the hinges are attached to the steel frame or door than the hinges themselves. The hinges look to be in reasonable condition, but I can see that one of the screws that hold the hinge to the door or frame is missing, and the other doesn't appear to be holding very well. Even though the fixtures are functional, you could certainly replace the hinges and the door handle set. When you do so, I'd recommend you potentially use larger screws to attach the hinge to the door so they grip better, and some Loctite on their threads wouldn't hurt. The Loctite will help prevent the screws from rattling loose. The current-sized screwed have likely wallowed out their hole and are now too small to grip adequately.

I'd leave the hinges as they look functional, and they are well fixed to the frame or door with rivets. The handle set and striker plates look a bit worse for wear, so they'd be worth replacing. They appear to be just a standard entry set, so they shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects