Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shed door handle?

Clunk0r
Getting Established

How to replace shed door handle?

1000001869.jpg1000001868.jpg

I have a shed that already had a this lock in it. 

It doesn't have an exterior door handle. 

Do I need to replace the entire door lock or is there a kit with just an exterior handle that should fit something like this. 

Open to replacing the interior lock. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace shed door handle?

Hello @Clunk0r 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replacing your door shed handle.

The lock currently in place on your door is called a rim night latch similar to the Ikonic Satin Chrome Rim Night Latch. On the other side of the night latch is a flat plate with a keyhole in it which is what the night latch comes with. If you want a handle on your shed door, I suggest having a look at the Prestige 150mm Heavy Pattern Polished Chrome Door Handle. You'll need to use a nut and bolt set to attach it to the shed door. 

It is possible to find a replacement rim cylinder, but compatibility will be an issue. For ease of installation, I suggest getting a similar lock and swapping it over. You can then install the door handle close to the new lock. 

For a stronger door handle attachment, I propose putting a timber panel behind the shed steel door where the handle will be. This will transfer the pulling motion onto a larger surface of the door rather than just where the nut and bolts are.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Clunk0r
Getting Established

Re: How to replace shed door handle?

I am definitely going to go about replacing the lock.

Putting a latch handle on the door is a great idea though.

Didn't even think about that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects