Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang boxing bag and trx from shed roof?

Clunk0r
Getting Established

How to hang boxing bag and trx from shed roof?

Hi, I have a 6mx4m double shed with steel frame. 

I am slowly setting it up as a gym space and want to hang a 6ft heavy bag approximately 50kg from the ceiling. 

I also have a TRX mount that I also want to hang from the ceiling. 

I'm happy to add framing to the ceiling. 

I want to maintain the structural integrity of the shed while being able to hang both items. 

I am looking to use this mounting piece door the heavy bag 

https://meisterelite.com/products/meister-250lb-heavy-bag-ceiling-hanger-mount?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc...

I was also thinking of adding a spring between the bag and the mounting point to reduce vibration. 

I've seen other posts stating adding wood into the C channel beam and then bolts through to that to share the load. 

Ultimately I just don't want the shed to fall over so structural integrity is my main goal.

As for mounting location I was either thinking in the C channel beam in the middle or adding additional framing in the back half of the roof. 

1000001867.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang boxing bag and trx from shed roof?

Hello @Clunk0r 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about hanging a boxing bag on your shed roof.

It's good to know that you've had a look at some of the discussions regarding hanging a boxing bag. The amount of pressure being applied to this sports equipment is no joke. That force will then travel through its structure and onto where its hanging.

Your steel roofing frame has been designed to hold a certain amount of weight which includes the purlins and roofing sheets. Hanging a 50kg bag should not be an issue but reinforcing it to handle several hundred kilos of force is another matter.    

I propose building a timber frame between the posts of your steel shed. The timber frame can be reinforced with steel angles and anchored onto the shed's posts. I then recommend attaching an Everlast Foldable Boxing Fitness Training Heavy Punching Bag Hanger Black or RTM Heavy Duty Punch Bag Wall Bracket onto the timber wall. You can then hang the bag onto these hangers.

The force generated by your punches and kicks will get absorbed by the timber framing and greatly reduce the force being transmitted to the sheds steel posts.

However, if you are still keen on hanging the bag onto the roofing frame, I suggest engaging the services of a structural engineer. They will be able to suggest the type of steel reinforcement needed to hold the bag and absorb the force being transferred to the bag.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Clunk0r
Getting Established

Sounds perfect I am going to go ahead and reinforce the shed wall as suggested and then get a mounting bracket for the side. 

I am going to solve my TRX mounting hook problem by just bolting my squat rack into the ground and using the pull up bar off that to mount it so that it doesn't tip over. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: Evening @Clunk0r 

hahaha I was about to follow the same line of suggestions as @EricL but see that you are happy with what he has suggested. :smile:

Would love to see you post a few pics of the setup once done as we get so many people wanting to hang their boxing bag ect, It would be nice to guide them to a successful or even a non successful hanging of a boxing bag. Every step is a leaned experience and even if something is quiet right :smile: still a winner!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Clunk0r 

Please keep us updated with your progress. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you'll be building the wall for the boxing bag.

Eric

Clunk0r
Getting Established

I'll definitely plan it out and post an update once i've completed it.

Have to have a shed cleanout first to clear the wall I want to put the bag onto.

I'm glad to have a much better plan though.

Checking out the different boxing bag posts definitely helped with some of my initial research and eagerness to ask some questions on my specific shed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @Clunk0r, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects