Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace damaged Anka screw?

gmw72
Getting Established

How to replace damaged Anka screw?

Hi there,

I am in need of some advice please.

I've just installed shelving in my garage......and I've come across 1 small problem.

I installed heavy duty shelf brackets with 8mm x 60mm Anka screws.

Each bracket has three screws........and unfortunately 1 screw in 1 bracket stripped out. I am assuming the crumbly / brittle brickwork broke, and the thread didn't take in the brick.

The screw that didn't take is the top one on a bracket.....so therefore the attachment that is taking most of the load I assume.

Anyways.......I need to replace the Anka screw with something, but not sure what.

I used heavy duty brackets, rated to 300kg.

19mm structural ply.

And the 8mm X 60mm Anka screws.

I am not sure of the weight I'll be loading on the shelves, but wanted to make it completely sturdy so it can take a good amount of weight.

Pictures attached here.

Appreciate advice from those that know what I should do to fix.

Thanks,

Grant.

IMG_0724.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPG 

Re: How to replace damaged Anka screw?

Hi Jewelleryrescue,

Thanks for your input as written above.

I've done this a number of times with screws into wood (and glued in place first).......but hadn't thought about this with Anka Screw and brick. Have you used this method personally with Anka screws and brick?

The bracket has two of the three Anka screws which are super tight, as should be......and then there's 8 other brackets with 3 Anka screws per bracket, so I am thinking that I for sure want to make it better than it is, but at the same time I have 26 other Anka screws holding the shelves up.  :smile: 

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant.

gmw72
Getting Established

Many thanks Mitchell.

Regards,

Grant.

Hi @gmw72 

Great you have  done this before you know it works  skews work well inside brick and masonary  too if you want  use epoxy or  even liqud nails in the hole. as a back up those  other glues sound expensive for one  hole.

I have used   skewers with anka screws as I drilled into  grout between the bricks and the one  hole was a little oversized. Last  job was 50mm square fence post into the house wall 4  bolts I pre drilled holes in  post marked them on wall but post must of moved  while marking a bit so had to elongate a  hole to line up with post through hole. The extra skewers worked and gate never moved a 1mm its being 2 years now and that  is buffeted by wind too.

But it is  all the same  principal the wood takes up space inside the  hole and  allows the screw thread to bite both into to  wood and  the wood forces screw thread  to bite into the brick wall as it was intended.

The best part is  put the skewers into the  hole  do the screw up and try it with your weight on the bracket  close into the wall at first then outwards you will instantly know it has the mechanical strength required soon  enough.

I just thought of new solution for your problem amongst many  good choices others suggested  Buy the next size up Anka screw if the steel bracket to small diameter hole drill it out.

If your  keen add more holes to into the bracket and more  ankas to wall? but what you have looks great. 

I have similar garage shelf like yours  and I attached timber to the roof to ensure no sagging  brackets.  see pic Instead of using brackets I bolted a timber rail across wall and sat the shelf on top of it. I then added  tool peg board to the timber  underneath as a bonus. Thats  held for 22 years todate.  But I have the roof supports in the way so thats a design glitch if i had to put some thing long up there.  But it sounds like you potentially want to really pile some weight on  your shelvesTimber rail under peg boardTimber rail under peg board

Hi Jewelleryrescue,

Thanks for your further info, much appreciated.

It's good to learn from others who have done this before.  :smile:

I like your comment about using a glue also for the wood......as this is what I've done into timber previously.

This is the plan I will go with.  :smile:

I started and finished the other side of garage today (and no Anka Screw issues!).

All up I drilled, and installed, 51 Anka screws......and it was just the 1 that I had the issue with. haha! Always one!

Very happy with 9.6m of extra storage space now (shelves are 520mm deep).

Our small little single garage will offer so much more now!

Many thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Pic attached here of finished job.

:smile:

Thanks,

Grant.IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0755.JPG

Nice pics of your project @gmw72 

I here you about  1 silly small thing going wrong or some time more things dont go as planned thats why  its good to use simple fixes along the way as they are an onsite life saver.

If you strive for maximum strength get  the next size up anka and screw it in but you might need to  drill bracket hole larger too.

You  really increased your storage space for any sized object with  520mm  wide space those larger boxes for exampe.

Did you test you weight on the repair  the the bracket mount?   

We have got to keep  our advice as real as possible and my ideas might not be explained  clearly  as  it thought  re your feed back so I can sleep at nights.  But everything tells me it would work 100%

Nice work on your job.  Whats  next on your list :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gmw72

Thank you very much for posting photos of your shelves. I'm glad you've sorted out your AnkaScrew mounting. It looks very sturdy, I'm sure the shelves will come in handy for storage.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jewelleryrescue,

Yes.....just the one small issue 😃 ......but have the plan to deal with this.  :smile:

I'll do the repair on the weekend.

Haven't loaded that part of shelf up as yet.......but to be honest, it's got the other two screws in it, and it's already solid.

I am going to use Heavy Duty Liquid Nails on the wood in hole......just to ensure there's something solid to screw into. I am confident in this for the repair.

Thanks again for your advice.

As for the next job.....haha!.......we're refreshing our house, as we were living overseas for over 10 years and had our house rented out during that time. So there's plenty to do!

We're in the midst of refreshing the bathrooms at moment.......but I am getting help as required from tiler / plumber / shower screen fitter etc. Still though, I am doing as much of the work as possible myself.

Feel great to have the extra storage space in the garage now......another job ticked off, and onto the next one now!

All the best!

Regards,

Grant. 

Hi @gmw72 

Yeah  I noticed the spacing was  close on the top two holes but the  extra glue stops  screws from trying to  pull out  side ways. vertically you have screws going in 60mm that could hold a baby elephant. :smile:

I used to repair rental  properties for a realestate  agent and one place  was trashed  doors walls everything  soul destroying  for owner. But  after two monthes got it back to  live in  I hope your work is just general  painting etc

That horrible list  every one has lol  the worst part is I am holding the pen for my place I am doing the adding.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects