Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate shed ceiling?

Shedman2000
Just Starting Out

How to insulate shed ceiling?

Hi everyone I am currently in the process of finishing the inside of my shed/workshop in Melbourne (around 2mx3.6m). I have coated the concrete floor with epoxy and filled the wall cavities with Rockwool and then put pine panelling as the finish (for reference the walls are render on the outside, with a wall wrap, then fibre cement, then battens).

The final part left is the ceiling. It is a colorbond sheet sitting on the joists with foam infill strips between. What is the best way to retrofit insulation underneath the roof and what insulation should I use? So far putting Foilboard 25 between the joists is winning, or can I use Rockwool? Or can I shove an anticon insulation blanket in there from underneath or something else? If I go with the Foilboard is this ok for Melbourne weather as it's non-permeable? I then plan on putting plywood as a finish between the joists to keep the exposed beams as the ceiling is quite low.

Thank you!

1000007468.jpg

1000007469.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to insulate shed ceiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Shedman2000. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing insulation.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can. Let me also call upon our ever-helpful members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

While waiting, you might want to have a look at our Best Advice article How do you add insulation to a garage or shed? and the Bunnings guide How to insulate a ceiling in case they help. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to insulate shed ceiling?

Hi @Shedman2000 

I think you allready are  doing a  fantastic  job insulating your shed  You probably use foil board as it is reflective to heat and has additional low heat conductive transfer and it is realitivly thin and moisture proof you might be able to spot glue it to the roof with liquid nails save having to line  with  ply?

Nice  work enjoy your shed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate shed roof?

Hi @Shedman2000,

Any of those options would be a suitable approach. However, given you are not installing the plywood on the beams, but between them, I think Foilboard is the clear winner here. It will be substantially easier to work with as you can jamb it between the beams and then work on installing the plywood.

Mitchell

A note to our New Zealand readers: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects