Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the cutting list on the Bunnings folding workbench project?

Nywgad
Finding My Feet

What is the cutting list on the Bunnings folding workbench project?

Hi

I'm trying to work out from the timber cutting list text exactly what to ask for when I go into the store.

It's not very clear to me from the way it's been written so hoping someone can clarify.

This is the project on the Bunnings site: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/diy-advice/home-improvement/furniture-upcycling/how-to-make-a-folding-wor...

Should this be interpreted as:

From a sheet of 2250mm x 600mm x 30mm ply, I want  1 x section that's 945mm x 450mm 30mm ?

From some dowel that comes in 35mm x 2.4m lengths, I want 2 x lengths of 1650mm ?

From some structural pine that comes in 90mm x 45mm x 2.4m lengths, I want 2 lengths of 945mm each ?

Cheers

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What exactly is the cutting list to ask for on this folding workbench project link?

Thanks for your question, @Nywgad. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc is currently away but will be happy to clarify that cut list for you as soon as he can.

Also tagging our experienced members @DIY4Knuckleheds@Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue for their thoughts. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Let me also welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us. Don't hesitate to reach out should you need a hand getting the most out of the site.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What is the cutting list on this folding workbench project?

Good Evening @Nywgad 

A warm howdy :smile: and Id like to say welcome to the Bunnings Community page :smile: Love the project you have decided to give a go and I really like the way they have done the base of the feet for the table!

The ply mentioned in the notes is from the New Zealand Bunnings store. Also I cant find it on their site in NZ 😕 I can find 18mm or 20mm ply (you could substitue and just allow for the difference in height)

The 30mm dowl looks like its available.

Maybe you could adjust some of the measurements to suit what is available in store (lots of time end of stock runs out and a new product is replaced) I just bought some yellow gum decking timber at end of run and know it will no longer be available.

From what I understand they have given you a list of pieces you need and also the whole pieces that you will need to buy. You have to buy the whole piece and then ask the Bunnings people to cut it for you. It will make it easier to transport it home. 

You could cut out a scaled version from cardboard of the full pieces and then trim them down at the sizes they want for the shelf. I have drawn pics so many times trying to nut out an explanation and it really brings it home.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the cutting list on this folding workbench project?

Hi @Nywgad,

• Benchtop: One piece 945mm x 450mm

• Leg brackets: Four sections cut from the excess of the 600mm benchtop panel.

• Wall brackets: Two lengths of 90 x 45 x 945mm

• Dowel legs: The article lists them as two pieces at 1650mm, which I'd have to imagine is incorrect. I believe the dowel length should be slightly less than 1000mm each. A right-angle triangle with a side of 900mm and 450mm should give 1000mm for the third side. It's best to cut them slightly longer and then check to ensure the bench is level before making their final cut.

Using IBS Mini Panels 1200 x 600 x 18mm CD Untreated Plywood would provide quite a solid working surface for most hobby projects. If you wanted to achieve an even more solid surface you could double up on one of these sheets and glue them together.

I'll provide feedback to our team so they can take another look at this article.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects