Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a metal shed roof?

Jordy21
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a metal shed roof?

Hello everyone,

my house has an outside metal shed which I've recently been using as a home gym. Even with an aircon, it can get quite hot inside. The walls are ok however most of the heat comes from the roof.

What is a good DIY insulation to help with the heat (ie Ametalin ThermalLiner or Foilboard) and how can I stick it directly to the roof?

Looking for a somewhat short-term cost effective solution, not a long-term one.

Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.07.06 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.06.44 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate a metal shed roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jordy21. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a shed roof.

I'd encourage you to start by reading through some of the previous discussions on this topic as there is plenty of great advice and solutions discussed:

Foilboard is an option and can be adhered to the roof with gutter silicone. It's highly recommended to first install spacer blocks or use offcuts from the sheet to create spacer blocks. This forms an air gap between the board and the roof, drastically improving the insulation value. So, the method would be to adhere the blocks to the roof and then adhere the board to the blocks. Due to the weight of the board, you'll likely need to prop it against the roof until the silicone cures. You can see the method used in Foilboard's garage door installation guide.

Regarding the Ametalin ThermalLiner I don't believe you'd see any significant reduction in heat. If adequately sealed, it could isolate some of the hotter outdoor ambient air, reflecting some level of insulation value. 

A note to our New Zealand members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your help! I do like the idea of using foil-board on the roof. However I do think this is going to be a bit much to do by myself.

Are there any tradesman you would recommend or have contacts that could possibly install this for me?

I am based in Perth WA.

Kind regards,

Jordana

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jordy21 

I'm sorry but we don't recommend trades people. However, as an alternative, I suggest posting the job on either Airtasker or Hipages. My tip is to make sure to include as much information as possible about what you want done. Putting in measurements and choice of materials will greatly help. Remember to get at least three quotes and always ask for a reference on the last job they did.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jordana (@Jordy21)

Apologies that we're not able to assist with recommending a tradesperson. Workshop is a community for people right across Australia and New Zealand so it is unlikely that there will be a member near you who can recommend someone suitable. It's best to go direct to a site that is designed for that purpose. As Eric mentioned, we would recommend you try a site like Airtasker or hipages

Please let us know if you need any further assistance and we look forward to seeing how your project progresses.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects