Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install exhaust fan in skillion roof shed?

Ritar
Cultivating a Following

How to install exhaust fan in skillion roof shed?

I want to cool my shed in summer and reduce condensation under the corrugated colour bond roof. Shed made out of weathertex. Not insulated at all.

My shed:

- 6m long 1.6m wide 1.9 - 2.2m high

- there is a wall divide to separate the pool equipment section from tool storage section. The dividing wall is 5cm from the roof, so there is a gap between pool and tool sections. The tool section is about 5m in length

I thought a solar exhaust fan to circulate air about may be better than Foilboards under the roof, If you agree that would work, would one exhaust fan on the tool end of the shed do, and if so, what size? Will the air gaps from the colour bond corrugations allow enough air flow in or do I need a vent somewhere, if so, where do I place that?

Re: How to install exhaust fan in skillion roof shed?

Thanks @MikeTNZ 

From  now on I am going to think  earth wire to  roofs and sarking.  For $1 wire  not good situation I have being hit by 240v and it no picnic due  to a failed  earth.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Ritar,

As long as you have a registered Electrician run the cabling for your fan, I can't see an issue with it.

If you wanted to go the whole hog, you could put another fan at the other end of the building that will allow through ventilation.

As in, one fan draughting air into the shed and the other pulling waste air out, fans these days are so cheap and it makes sense to have an arrangement like this, especially if you do work that is quite dusty or you need lots of free air when working with adhesives and what-not.

Have a think about that, your Electrician will install a single switch that will turn both fans on at once.

Any further questions,

Let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Ritar
Cultivating a Following

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. I'll mull it over and speak with an electrician firstly. I want to do it right, and safely. No value in skimping when electricity is involved that's for sure. 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Ritar,

Damn sorry, do you have someone like a Heating/Ventilation Technician that you could call?

They would be your best bet, if anything, they do this stuff day in, day out and would give you better advice than an Electrician.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Ritar
Cultivating a Following

That sounds like a good idea Mike. I'll check that out. I could ask them about cooling the house roof space too

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects