Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to put a timber floor in my shed?

kathleen_mcc
Just Starting Out

How to put a timber floor in my shed?

Hi!  I have a shed in my backyard that has been standing strong for over 12 years.  I want to use it as a work space.  It is 220cm x 220cm x 170xcm.  So my first step is to put down a floor.  I am going to diy this - but I am not really sure what the best option is.  I don't want to lay a cement floor - I would rather use wood.  The shed itself has some steel runners at the base - I am not sure if I should attach the floor to this.  There has always been lots of heavy things in the shed, so I suspect the ground is quite compact. 

This is only part one of my great diy plan for the shed!  I will insulate it and may even put in a window! 

Thanks! Kathleen

20230112_155023.jpg20230112_155025.jpg20230112_155027.jpg20230112_155030.jpg20230112_155032.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to put a timber floor in my shed?

Hello @kathleen_mcc

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about putting flooring in your shed.

If you are planning on using timber, I suggest building a frame like a low level-deck. It will keep the timber off the ground and should water enter the shed the timber platform will keep the items in your shed dry. I recommend putting builder's plastic on the ground to divert the moisture coming off the ground to the sides of the shed, this will add additional moisture protection for your timber floor.

In order for the timber floor not to be too high I recommend using 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 2.4m and 2440 x 1220mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade. I propose using 200 x 50mm 1.8m Sleeper H4 Treated Pine Sienna MicroPro cut into 100mm lengths to use as your post for the frame. The only drawback is that it will take away some height from the inside of your shed. I would estimate that the timber frame along with the flooring will take at least 112mm.

Here is an example of a low-level timber deck frame:  Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects